Agenda, decisions and minutes

Environment and Waste Management Overview & Scrutiny Committee (Archive)
Tuesday, 21st November, 2017 5.30 pm

Venue: Committee Room 1 - City Hall, Bradford

Contact: Jane Lythgow 

Items
No. Item

31.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)

 

To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.

 

An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.

 

Notes:

 

(1)       Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct.  Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.

 

(2)       Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them.  A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. 

 

(3)       Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.

 

(4)       Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.

 

Minutes:

 No disclosures of interest in matters under consideration were received. 

 

32.

MINUTES

Recommended –

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 26 September 2017 be signed as a correct record (previously circulated).

 

(Jane Lythgow/Tracey Sugden – 01274 432270/434287)

Minutes:

Resolved –

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 26 September 2017 be signed as a correct record.

 

33.

INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item.  Certain reports and background papers may be restricted. 

 

Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report. 

 

If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting. 

 

Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal. 

 

(Jane Lythgow/Tracey Sugden – 01274 432270/434287)

 

Minutes:

There were no appeals submitted by the public to review decisions to restrict documents.

 

34.

TRANSPORTATION & HIGHWAYS - PERFORMANCE REPORT 2016/17 pdf icon PDF 334 KB

The Strategic Director, Place will present a report (Document “N”) which provides information about the Council’s performance against the Transport & Highways indicators and targets set out in the 2016/17 Corporate Indicator set and supporting Transport & Highways Performance management indicators.

 

Recommended –

 

That the current position in regard to the Council’s Corporate and Supporting Indicators and Targets related to Transport and Highways issues be noted.

 

(Richard Gelder – 01274 437603)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

(1)  That the current position in regard to the Council’s Corporate and Supporting Indicators and Targets related to Transport and Highways issues be noted.

 

(2)  That the Strategic Director, Place, be requested to provide a progress report in 12 months time.

 

 

(Richard Gelder – 01274 437603)

 

Minutes:

The Strategic Director, Place presented a report (Document “N”) which provided information about the Council’s performance against the Transport & Highways indicators and targets set out in the 2016/17 Corporate Indicator set and supporting Transport & Highways Performance management indicators.

 

Members were concerned that the report referred to an overall decline in the condition of all classification of roads within the District and the potential increased numbers of highways claims which may be received.  In response they were advised that no increase in claims had yet been experienced and that the situation was being carefully monitored to ensure the insurance premiums remained low.  It was explained that no plans to mitigate the situation were in place at the current time but if claims began to increase appropriate action would be taken.

 

The report revealed that Bradford had the highest number of casualties relating to criminal activity in West Yorkshire and that this remained a concern.  The Council was, for the first time, examining police data to determine what initiates were required.  Members questioned the nature of the criminal activity and whilst that information was not available at the meeting assurances were provided that work with the police was on going.  It was requested that future reports contain more information about the nature of criminal activity which was impacting on road safety.

 

The increased incidents of aggressive driving without consideration for other road users witnessed in the District were raised as a matter of concern.  It was acknowledged that engineers could not design a solution but suggested that education/public awareness initiatives should be developed.  The Strategic Director explained that driver behaviour was an issue which was being examined with the police and other partners.

 

Members, whilst acknowledging the decline in peak period traffic flows due to changes in working patterns, recognised that the aspirations to increase investment in the city would inevitably increase traffic flow.  It was felt, therefore, that it was essential that travellers be encouraged to use more sustainable modes of transport.  Members were advised that rail improvements would make train travel more attractive and that a report on the Forster Square Station improvements would be presented at the next meeting.

 

A decrease in bus travel was discussed and it was reported that there had been a reduction in tendered services.  The decline had been considered and, to put the figure in context, it was explained that there had been a 23% reduction in bus services nationally since 2002.  Changes in social habits, with the rise of Uber which some residents found easier to access, could also be responsible together with a reduction in resources being provided by West Yorkshire Combined Authority into concessionary travel.

 

Resolved –

 

(1)  That the current position in regard to the Council’s Corporate and Supporting Indicators and Targets related to Transport and Highways issues be noted.

 

(2)  That the Strategic Director, Place, be requested to provide a progress report in 12 months time.

 

 

ACTION: Strategic Director, Place

 

 

35.

2016-17 PERFORMANCE OUTTURN REPORT FOR WASTE MANAGEMENT pdf icon PDF 51 KB

The Committee is asked to consider Document “O” which provides a summary on the performance of Waste Services for the year 2016-17.

 

Recommended –

 

That the Committee acknowledge the report on the performance of Waste Services in 2016/17 and continue to support Waste Services in their efforts to improve the management of the Local Authority Collected Waste and the services provided to the public.

 

(Richard Longcake – 01274 432855)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

(1)  That the report on the performance of Waste Services in 2016/17 be welcomed and support to Waste Services in their efforts to improve the management of the Local Authority Collected Waste and the services provided to the public be continued.

 

(2)  That the Strategic Director, Place, be requested to provide a progress report in 12 months time.

 

(Richard Longcake – 01274 432855)

 

Minutes:

The Committee was asked to consider Document “O” which provided a summary on the performance of Waste Services for the year 2016-17.

 

The report revealed that despite continued growth in the number of households the upward tend in waste arising since 2013 had been halted.  That reduction had been predicted in the previous report and was as a result of policy changes (e.g.the Bin Policy).

 

It was emphasised that the report did not include any of the benefits arising from alternate weekly (fortnightly) collections, which would feed into 2017/18.  The report was welcomed and Members looked forward to witnessing the impact of the huge changes in levels of residual waste and recycling which would be evidenced in future reports.

 

Members questioned measures being taken to address littering and were advised that this was dealt with by the Neighbourhood Service.  Environmental Enforcement Officers, working closely with the Neighbourhood Wardens, issued Fixed Penalty Notices to the perpetrators.  The Portfolio Holder reported measures being undertaken to influence behaviour through enforcement and education including measures to persuade people to report offenders.  It was explained that legislation was coming into force which would result in vehicle owners being responsible for the litter which passengers threw from their vehicles.

 

A Member reported initiatives which she had undertaken in her Ward to encourage businesses and fast food outlets to collect the litter emanating from their premises.  It was acknowledged that the Environmental Enforcement Officers had also been influential in encouraging residents and businesses to accept their social responsibility.  It was suggested that residents and schools which had become involved be credited for the work they had undertaken.  It was noted that the local press was highlighting the unacceptable actions of perpetrators and Council successes against such people and this was to be welcomed. 

 

The reduction in garden waste collections was discussed and it was questioned if that had resulted in more garden waste being deposited as household waste.  In response Members were advised that there was no evidence that this was occurring and it had been evidenced that people no longer paying for their garden waste collections were using the Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) to deposit their garden waste.  Officers confirmed that garden waste, either collected at the kerbside or deposited at HWRCs, was all composted.  It was also pointed out that the weather impacted on the amount of garden waste produced in any single year, which made comparing quantities of one year with another difficult. 

 

The increases in waste to energy and reduction in waste to landfill were commended and officers were thanked for arranging the Members’ visit to the Materials Recycling Facility which had taken place prior to the meeting.

 

Resolved –

 

(1)  That the report on the performance of Waste Services in 2016/17 be welcomed and support to Waste Services in their efforts to improve the management of the Local Authority Collected Waste and the services provided to the public be continued.

 

(2)  That the Strategic Director, Place, be requested to provide  ...  view the full minutes text for item 35.

36.

FLY TIPPING IN THE BRADFORD DISTRICT pdf icon PDF 272 KB

The Strategic Director, Place will present a report (Document “P”) which gives an update on fly tipping in the District, including an analysis on trends in complaints, levels of tonnages collected and whether recent policy changes with regard to waste disposal and collection have had any associated impacts.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)  That the update on fly tipping and actions taken to address the problem be noted.

 

(2)  That a further report be brought to this Committee within twelve months.  

 

(Damian Fisher – 01274 437146)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

That the item be deferred for consideration at the meeting on 19 December 2017.

 

(Damian Fisher – 01274 437146)

Minutes:

Resolved –

 

That the item be deferred for consideration at the meeting on 19 December 2017.

 

ACTION: Strategic Director, Place

 

37.

BIODIVERSITY SCRUTINY REVIEW - DRAFT TERMS OF REFERENCE pdf icon PDF 85 KB

The Chair of the Committee will present a report (Document “Q”) which presents the draft terms of reference for the Biodiversity Scrutiny Review.

 

Recommended –

 

That the draft terms of reference be adopted.

 

(Mustansir Butt – 01274 432574)

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved –

 

That the draft terms of reference, contained in Document “Q”, be adopted.

 

(Mustansir Butt – 01274 432574)

 

Minutes:

The Chair of the Committee presented a report (Document “Q”) which presented the draft terms of reference for the Biodiversity Scrutiny Review.

 

Following discussions at the meeting held on 31 October 2017 three key lines of enquiry had been identified and Members were requested for their comments on those key lines.

 

It was proposed that an informal information gathering session be held at 5.30pm on 9 January 2018. All interested parties would be invited to an informal discussion with a view to the presentation of a draft report in late February early March 2018. 

 

The list of interested parties included Bradford Environmental Enterprises and a Member explained that this organisation was now named Environmental Education Services.  Additions to be added to that list were local bee keepers; ‘friends of’ groups and the Aire Rivers Trust. 

 

A Member questioned the objective of the review and what it was trying to achieve.  It was explained that the review had originally been suggested to consider a policy on hedge cutting and other issues which the Countryside Warden Service might wish to investigate.  It was hoped to consider how biodiversity in urban and rural spaces could be improved.

 

Members re-iterated a previous request for Asset Management to provide a report on open spaces and were advised by the Scrutiny Lead that this report was forthcoming.

 

It was requested that an explanation of the rationale for the review be added to the invitations despatched to interested parties.

 

Resolved –

 

That the draft terms of reference, contained in Document “Q”, be adopted.

 

ACTION: Overview and Scrutiny Lead

 

38.

WORK PROGRAMME 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 146 KB

The report of the Chair of the Committee (Document “R”) will present for Members’ consideration the Committee’s work programme for 2017-18.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)  That Members consider and comment on the areas of work included in the 2017-18 Work Programme for the Committee.

 

(2)  That Members consider any detailed scrutiny reviews that they may wish to conduct.

 

(3)  That the work programme 2017-18 continues to be reviewed regularly during the year.

 

(Mustansir Butt – 01274 432574)

 

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

No resolution was passed in respect of this item.

Minutes:

The report of the Chair of the Committee (Document “R”) presented, for Members’ consideration, the Committee’s work programme for 2017-18.

 

Members were advised that the West Yorkshire LTP3 Implementation Plan scheduled for December 2017 would now be presented to the meeting on 20 February 2018.  A report on the redevelopment of Bradford Foster Square would be considered at the meeting on 19 December 2017. 

 

No resolution was passed on this item.

 

No Action

.