Venue: Council Chamber - City Hall, Bradford. View directions
Contact: Jill Bell/ Farzana Mughal
DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST
(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)
To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.
An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.
(1) Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct. Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.
(2) Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them. A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992.
(3) Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.
(4) Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.
INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS
(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)
Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item. Certain reports and background papers may be restricted.
Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report.
If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting.
Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal.
(Jill Bell - 01274 434580)
APPOINTMENT OF A COMPLAINTS SUB-COMMITTEE
The Committee is
advised that it is required to appoint a
ACTION: City Solicitor
The City Solicitor will present Document “A” in which the Committee is requested to consider the Local Government Association (LGA) new Model Councillor Code of Conduct and decide whether to recommend to Council its adoption with or without amendments to replace the Council’s existing Members’ Code of Conduct or whether to require consultation with Councillors before considering adoption.
(1) Members are invited to comment on whether they are content to recommend adoption of the Local Government Association Model Councillor Code of Conduct 2020 in principle or if they require consultation with Councillors before considering adoption.
(2) If the former, the Local Government Association Model Councillor Code of Conduct 2020 be recommended for adoption by Council with such amendments as are agreed by this Committee.
(3) Upon adoption by Council, delegated authority be given to the City Solicitor to make any consequential amendments required to the Council’s Constitution including to the Protocols on Member-Officer Relations, Members Gifts and Hospitality and Members Use of Council Resources including Use of E-mail and the Internet in consultation with the Chair of this Committee.
(4) Upon adoption of the amended Code by Council the City Solicitor write to all Town and Parish Councils within the Bradford District to advise them of adoption of the Code and encouraging them also to adopt the Code.
(Parveen Akhtar -01274 432486)
(1) That the Local Government Association Model Councillor Code of Conduct 2020 (“the Code”) be recommended for adoption by Council to be effective from the beginning of the Municipal Year 2022-23 with the following amendments (Amendments (1) (a) to (d) are matters included in the Council’s existing Members’ Code of Conduct and the paragraph numbers refer to the paragraph numbers in the existing Code):
(a) The inclusion of the mandatory requirement that members complete a training course on Child Sexual Exploitation. (paragraph 21A).
(b) Confirmation within the Code that all complaints alleging a failure to comply with the Code will be considered in accordance with the Procedure agreed by full Council (paragraph 22).
(c) The incorporation into the Code of the Protocols on Member- Officer Relations, and Members’ use of Council Resources including use of Email and the Internet as detailed in paragraph 23 of the existing Members’ Code of Conduct subject to any consequential amendments required to address inconsistencies.
(d) The Provisions regarding granting of dispensations (paragraph 24).
(e) That in paragraph 10.2 of the Code (Gifts and Hospitality), £50 be replaced with £25.
(2) That the City Solicitor produces a draft code incorporating the amendments, further consults the Chair of this Committee beforeit is considered by Council and that consideration is given totaking the recommendation for adoption of the Code to the Council meeting in March 2022.
(3) Upon adoption of the amended Code by Council, delegated authority be given to the City Solicitor to make any consequential amendments required to the Council’s Constitution including to the Protocols on Member-Officer Relations, Members Gifts and Hospitality and Members Use of Council Resources including Use of E-mail and the Internet in consultation with the Chair of this Committee.
(4) Upon adoption of the amended Code by Council the City Solicitor write to all Town and Parish Councils within the Bradford District to advise them of adoption of the Code and encouraging them also to adopt the Code if they have not already done so.
ACTION: City Solicitor
The City Solicitor will provide a verbal update on member training.
(Parveen Akhtar – 01274 432496)
That members continue to receive a mix of face to face, remote and
ACTION: City Solicitor/Director of Human Resources