Agenda, decisions and minutes

Shipley Area Committee
Wednesday, 28th July, 2021 6.45 pm

Venue: Victoria Hall, Saltaire

Contact: Jill Bell/Su Booth  01274 434580/07814 073884

Items
No. Item

28.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)

 

To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.

 

An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.

 

Notes:

 

(1)       Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct.  Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.

 

(2)       Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them.  A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. 

 

(3)       Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.

 

(4)       Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.

 

Minutes:

No disclosures of interest in matters under consideration were received.

29.

INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item.  Certain reports and background papers may be restricted. 

 

Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report. 

 

If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting. 

 

Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal. 

 

(Jill Bell/Su Booth 01274 434580/07814 073884)

 

Minutes:

There were no appeals submitted by the public to review decisions to restrict documents.

 

30.

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

To hear questions from electors within the District on any matter this is the responsibility of the Committee. 

 

Questions must be received in writing by the City Solicitor in Room 112, City Hall, Bradford, BD1 1HY, by mid-day on Monday 26 July 2021.

 

(Jill Bell/Su Booth 01274 434580/07814 073884)

 

 

Minutes:

No public questions had been received.

31.

SHIPLEY AREA COMMITTEE AND SHIPLEY CONSTITUENCY AREA PARTNERS' ADVISORY GROUP (SCAPAG) ISSUES

Up to a maximum of 15 minutes will be allowed for SCAPAG members to raise new items of information, questions, requests or suggestions that may have arisen within their organisation/neighbourhood and which are relevant to raise at the meeting.

 

Issues raised in accordance with the above must be received in writing by the Shipley Area Co-ordinator’s Office in Shipley Town Hall, Shipley, BD18 3EJ, by mid-day on Monday 26 July 2021.

 

(Damian Fisher – 01274 437146)

Minutes:

No items were received by SCAPAG members.

32.

GRANT ALLOCATIONS AND GRANTS ADVISORY GROUP pdf icon PDF 85 KB

The report of the Shipley Area Co-ordinator (Document “D”) provides background information and recommendations with regard to grant allocations and the constitution of the Grants Advisory Group 2021/2022.

 

Recommended -

 

(1)  That it be approved that the Shipley Area Co-ordinator, under delegated powers,  has the responsibility for making decisions on all grant applications administered by the Shipley Area Co-ordinators office, after seeking guidance from the Grants Advisory Group.

 

(2)  That in the current municipal year and in accordance with an established precedent, the Area Committee approves the nomination of three Councillors from the Conservative Group, one Councillor from the Green Group and one Councillor from the Labour Group

 

(3)  That the Shipley Area Co-ordinators Office be requested to continue to ensure the effective allocation of all the grant funding by providing appropriate support and advice to applicants.

 

 

 

(Damian Fisher – 01274 437146)

 

Minutes:

The report of the Shipley Area Co-ordinator (Document “D”) provided background information and recommendations with regard to grant allocations and the constitution of the Grants Advisory Group 2021/2022.

 

Resolved -

 

(1)  That it be approved that the Shipley Area Co-ordinator, under delegated powers,  has the responsibility for making decisions on all grant applications administered by the Shipley Area Co-ordinators office, after seeking guidance from the Grants Advisory Group.

 

(2)  That in the current municipal year and in accordance with an established precedent, the Area Committee approves the nomination of three Councillors from the Conservative Group (Councillors Heseltine, Sullivan and Townend), one Councillor from the Green Group (Councillor Warnes) and one Councillor from the Labour Group (to be agreed)

 

(3)  That the Shipley Area Co-ordinators Office be requested to continue to ensure the effective allocation of all the grant funding by providing appropriate support and advice to applicants.

 

 

ACTION: Area Co-ordinator

 

 

33.

BUSINESS RATES pdf icon PDF 170 KB

The report of the Director of Corporate Services (Document “E”) summarises the support that has been provided to businesses during the Covid 19 pandemic. Including ongoing support, and further support that is due to be introduced. 

 

Recommended –

 

(1)  That Members note the support that has been provided to businesses during the Covid 19 pandemic. Including ongoing support, and further support that is due to be introduced. 

 

(2)  That Members note that there is the need for businesses to pay their business rates and any business unable to do so, in line with the payment schedule on their bill, should contact the Business Rates team so that alternative payment plans can be discussed in line with their cash flow.

 

 

(Jagdeep Khan – 01274 437802)

 

 

Minutes:

The report (Document “E”) summarised the support that had been provided to businesses during the Covid 19 pandemic, including ongoing support and further support that was due to be introduced.

 

It was reported that £11m rate relief had been granted to businesses in the Shipley Constituency.  A new scheme was to be launched to give the opportunity to offer discretionary rate relief to businesses not in the hospitality and leisure sectors.  Information would be circulated to members once the guidance had been received and the scheme had been agreed by the Executive which was anticipated would be in November.

 

It was reported that the timescale to allocate the Additional Restrictions Grants was 31 March 2022.  Members were advised of the ways in which businesses could access information on the existing business support.

 

Members discussed the percentage of fraudulent claims which was extremely low bearing in mind the amount of money paid out overall.  A data matching exercise had identified 200 out of 11,000 claims made.  Due diligence had been applied and the government was following up through HMRC.

 

It was agreed to provide members with comparative information on how quickly grants were paid to businesses compared with other authorities.  It was noted that Bradford had liaised with all other authorities in West Yorkshire.  

 

Resolved –

 

That members note the support that has been provided to businesses during the Covid 19 pandemic, including ongoing support and further support that is due to be introduced. 

 

 

ACTION: Director of Finance

 

 

34.

CLIMATE ACTION FUND pdf icon PDF 85 KB

The report of the Shipley Area Co-ordinator (Document “F”) summarises the grants awarded from the Climate Action Fund for the benefit of communities within the Shipley Constituency.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)  That the wide range of groups, organisations and individuals across the Shipley area which have benefited from receiving a Climate Action Fund be noted and welcomed.

 

(2)  That the Grants Advisory Group is thanked for their work in providing guidance to the Shipley Area Co-ordinator in the effective allocation of the Climate Action Fund.

 

(Damian Fisher - 01274 437062)

Minutes:

The report of the Shipley Area Co-ordinator (Document “F”) summarised the grants awarded from the Climate Action Fund for the benefit of communities within the Shipley Constituency.  The Area Co-ordinator advised members that planning information was awaited for the projects submitted by Burley in Wharfedale Community Trust and Baildon & Shipley Friends of the Earth.  The Area Co-ordinator agreed to chase progress on the Eldwick Village Hall heat pump project. 

 

Resolved –

 

(1)  That the wide range of groups, organisations and individuals across the Shipley area which have benefited from receiving a Climate Action Fund be noted and welcomed.

 

(2)  That the Grants Advisory Group is thanked for their work in providing guidance to the Shipley Area Co-ordinator in the effective allocation of the Climate Action Fund.

 

ACTION: Shipley Area Co-ordinator

 

 

35.

COMMUNITY CHEST pdf icon PDF 98 KB

The report of the Shipley Area Co-ordinator (Document “G”) summarises the Community Chest Grants awarded in this financial year April 2021 to present and the Cohesion and Integration Innovation Fund awarded in the financial year April 2020 to March 2021, for the benefit of communities within the Shipley Constituency.

 

Recommended -

 

(1)  That the wide range of groups, organisations and individuals across the Shipley area which have benefited from receiving a Community Chest grant and Cohesion and Integration Innovation Fund be noted and welcomed.

 

(2)  That the Grants Advisory Group is thanked for their work in providing guidance to the Shipley Area Co-ordinator in the effective allocation of the Community Chest grant and the Cohesion and Integration Innovation fund.

 

(Damian Fisher – 01274 437062)

Minutes:

The report of the Shipley Area Co-ordinator (Document “G”) summarised the Community Chest Grants awarded in this financial year April 2021 to present and the Cohesion and Integration Innovation Fund awarded in the financial year April 2020 to March 2021, for the benefit of communities within the Shipley Constituency.

 

It was noted that there was a balance of £8,100 remaining and that the next closing date for applications was 13 August 2021.

 

In response to a member enquiry regarding year on year funding for revenue purposes, it was agreed that this could be looked into.

 

Resolved -

 

(1)  That the wide range of groups, organisations and individuals across the Shipley area which have benefited from receiving a Community Chest grant and Cohesion and Integration Innovation Fund be noted and welcomed.

 

(2)  That the Grants Advisory Group is thanked for their work in providing guidance to the Shipley Area Co-ordinator in the effective allocation of the Community Chest grant and the Cohesion and Integration Innovation fund.

 

ACTION: Shipley Area Co-ordinator