Agenda, decisions and minutes

Shipley Area Committee
Wednesday, 24th March, 2021 6.00 pm

Venue: virtual

Contact: Jill Bell/Su Booth  07970 413716/07814 073884

Items
No. Item

9.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)

 

To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.

 

An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.

 

Notes:

 

(1)       Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct.  Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.

 

(2)       Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them.  A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. 

 

(3)       Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.

 

(4)       Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.

 

Minutes:

Councillor Barker declared an interest as the petition under consideration was in his ward (minute 13)

 

Action: City Solicitor

10.

MINUTES

Recommended –

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 27 January 2021 be signed as a correct record (previously circulated).

 

(Su Booth/Jill Bell – 07814 073884/01274 434580 )

Minutes:

Resolved –

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 27 January 2021 be signed as a correct record.

11.

INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item.  Certain reports and background papers may be restricted. 

 

Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report. 

 

If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting. 

 

Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal. 

 

(Palbinder Sandhu - 01274 432269)

 

Minutes:

There were no appeals submitted by the public to review decisions to restrict documents.

12.

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

To hear questions from electors within the District on any matter this is the responsibility of the Committee. 

 

Questions must be received by emailing either susan.booth2@bradford.gov.uk or jill.bell@bradford.gov.uk by midday on Monday 22 March 2021.

 

(Jill Bell/Su Booth – 01274 434580/07814 073884)

 

Minutes:

There were no questions submitted by the public.

13.

PETITION pdf icon PDF 119 KB

The report of the Interim Strategic Director, Place (Document “AF”) relates to a petition received by the Council from Ellar Gardens Residents Association (EGRA) in Menston on 13 March 2020 regarding a number of issues regarding the use of the public open space (POS) at Ellar Gardens residential area.

 

Recommended –

 

That the Committee conclude that all issues raised in the petition have been addressed, whilst accepting the possible fence encroachment be closed and left as is. Continue to maintain the area of POS in line with statutory requirements and monitor the situation at the same time.

 

(Gill Bennison – 01274 431377)

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the Interim Strategic Director, Place (Document “AF”) related to a petition received by the Council from Ellar Gardens Residents Association (EGRA) in Menston on 13 March 2020 regarding a number of issues regarding the use of the public open space (POS) at Ellar Gardens residential area.

 

Officers presented their response to the petition and summarised the remedial actions taken in respect of encroachment and inappropriate use.  They did emphasise that the area is public open space and access is free for recreational use but stated that the area was being continuously monitored and any future encroachment would not be tolerated.  In addition to the clean-up carried out by refuse teams, work was being undertaken to plant wild flower seeds and tree maintenance was also being carried out.

 

The lead petitioner attended the meeting and addressed Members in relation to the public open space at Ellar Gardens and summarised the concerns raised and was able to update Members in relation to the actions taken by Officers in response to those concerns.  Acknowledgement and thanks were expressed to Officers in relation to the work they had already carried out, but further action was still needed.

 

Members were then given the opportunity to make comments and ask questions.  Details of these and responses given are as below:

 

·           One Member stated that the public should not be excluded from using the space but should not access it in ways which were not permitted and wanted to wait for the final outcome

 

·           In the report circulated, Officers had stated that a professional surveyor would need to be engaged in order to be accurate around encroachment and wild flower seeding.  Had anyone been engaged?

·      Officers advised that preparation was underway for seeding and they were just waiting for appropriate weather.  No professional had been engaged due to financial and time resources but encroachment would not be tolerated

 

·         The Chair stated that the situation relating to gates onto the public space should be investigated

·      Officers advised that there was no evidence to support the removal of gates opening onto the space and would require a large legal undertaking and would be difficult to address.  The lead petitioner stated that the issue with gates only applied to some properties from where businesses were being run and materials were being deposited onto the open space.  If this was cleared then there was no issue.

 

Resolved –

 

That Option 2 in document “AF” was the preferred option concluding that the majority of issues raised in the petition have been addressed and allocated further officer time and resources to continue to investigate the possible fence encroachment to satisfactory conclusion. Continue to maintain the area of POS in line with statutory requirements and monitor the situation at the same time.

 

Action: Interim Strategic Director, Place

 

 

 

14.

SHIPLEY AREA NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING TEAM UPDATE pdf icon PDF 566 KB

The report of the Shipley Neighbourhood Policing Team (Document “AG”) gives an update of some of the work being undertaken and an overview of the Shipley Constituency performance data.

 

Recommended –

 

1)         That Shipley Area Committee notes the work undertaken by the Shipley Neighbourhood Policing Team from 1 January and 31 December 2020 that contributed to addressing priorities within the ward plans for the Shipley area.

 

2)         That the Shipley Area Committee notes the positive partnership working that has been established with elected members, council officers, community organisations, volunteers and residents within the Shipley area.  

 

(Damian Fisher – 01274 437062)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the Shipley Neighbourhood Policing Team (Document “Z”) was presented to the Committee to provide an update of some of the work undertaken and an overview of the Constituency performance data.

 

Figures for 2019 showed an overall reduction in the number of incidents and Members were provided with a breakdown of the types of crime committed.  The largest single increase related to violence without injury and was one of four areas showing an increase on the previous year.

 

Data was provided relating to anti-social behaviour and nuisance as well as reports of hate crime incidents.

 

The Shipley Neighbourhood Team Inspector provided details of Police resources and how they had been deployed to best effect for the Ward and the specific types of crime being tackled locally.  Efforts to recruit more members to become part of the many Neighbourhood Watch schemes, the number of which were the highest in the District, were ongoing.  The Inspector praised the work of the volunteers involved and was proud of the new Community Alert system which was launched and had the highest number of subscriptions in the District.

 

He gave Members details of how the Ward Team was recording crimes and, despite some obstacles, were still committed to reducing all crimes, with focus on burglaries and vehicle crime in particular.  A breakdown of tasks in focus and initiatives in each area of the Ward was also shared with Members.

 

Members were then given the opportunity to make comments and ask questions, the details of which, and the responses given are as below:

 

·         Were there PCSO’s still deployed in Baildon, and were they still doing the same kind of work?

·      The Police representative confirmed that there were PCSO’s on duty and were using a targeted patrol plan.  Members would be provided with details of the personnel involved

 

·         How had enforcement on the St Ives estate gone?

·      The Police representative stated that they were supporting council Covid teams due to the increase of people attending the estate, which was now included in patrols

 

Resolved –

 

1)         That Shipley Area Committee notes the work undertaken by the Shipley Neighbourhood Policing Team from 1 January and 31 December 2020 that contributed to addressing priorities within the ward plans for the Shipley area.

 

2)         That the Shipley Area Committee notes the positive partnership working that has been established with elected members, council officers, community organisations, volunteers and residents within the Shipley area.  

 

3)         The Committee wished to thank Police Officers and PCSO’s for their diligent and hard work during exceptional times.

 

Action: Interim Strategic Director, Place

15.

HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE NON-CLASSIFIED ROADS AND SURFACE DRESSING ALLOCATION FOR SHIPLEY CONSTITUENCY - 2021/22 pdf icon PDF 195 KB

The report of the Interim Strategic Director, Place (Document “AH”) provides information on the Capital Highway Maintenance funding element of the Local Transport Plan for 2021/22 and makes recommendations on the allocation for Non-Classified road resurfacing schemes and Surface Dressing sites in the Shipley constituency.

 

Recommended –

 

That the Shipley Area Committee approves the proposed list of schemes for 2021/22 as shown in Appendices 2 and 3 of Document AH.

(Andy Fisher – 01535 618297)

 

Minutes:

The Interim Strategic Director, Place presented a report (Document “AH”) that provided Members with details of the allocation of the capital highway maintenance budget to the non-classified road network and surface dressing sites for 2021/22 in the Shipley constituency.

 

It was essential that highway maintenance continued to be a priority with surveys carried out to select sites which were in the greatest need for repairs and supplemented by roads which had further deteriorated due to age or as a result of recent winter weather.

 

Members were provided with the relevant financial information in relation to schemes both in Shipley and for the District as a whole.  Officers also provided a list of sites which were earmarked for works to be carried out and a substitute list which Members had the opportunity to request for inclusion to meet local highway maintenance concerns.

 

Members were then given the opportunity to make comments and ask questions, the details of which, along with the responses given are as below:

 

A Member asked about the funding spent on A650 Nab Wood as it was less than budgeted for and was advised that different materials had been used.

 

A Member wanted to know if the works on Belmont Avenue included pavements and whether there was a date on which work would commence.  Officers advised that the work would be included in the next financial year so no costs were available.  Footways were not included but money could possibly be diverted from pothole repair money.  Members would be kept informed.

 

The question of differences in estimates and costs was raised and Officers advised that there was a difference as unforeseen changes can happen on site, such as extensions due to weather etc.

 

Steadhill Way repair needed to be checked to ensure that it falls within the constituency.  Officers would check this and action accordingly.

 

A Member raised the issue of pothole repairs, stating that whilst they are carried out quickly, the repairs did not last.  Officers advised that the majority were only temporary fixes with the priority to make them safe.  Permanent pothole repairs were more costly as they take longer, meaning that fewer were filled per day and usually required traffic control measures.

 

Officers were asked if there was a follow up system if a pothole kept coming up for repair and were advised that these were flagged up.

 

Resolved –

 

That the Shipley Area Committee approves the proposed list of schemes for 2021/22 as shown in Appendices 2 and 3 of Document “AH”.

Action: Interim Strategic Director, Place

 

 

16.

THE SMART STREET LIGHTING PROJECT UPDATE pdf icon PDF 297 KB

The report of the Interim Strategic Director, Place (Document “AI”)  has been produced to provide Members with a progress report of the Smart Street Lighting Project to date. It will also explain some of the processes and activities to come and provide details of the significant benefits expected to be realised to the District as a result of this project. 

 

Recommended –

 

1)            That Members acknowledge the progress of the Smart Street Lighting project and welcome annual updates.

 

2)            That Members endorse the project as a positive investment across the Bradford District bringing significant benefits overall.

 

(Allun Preece – 01274 434019)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the Interim Strategic Director, Place (Document “AI”) was presented to the Committee to provide Members with a progress report on the Smart Street Lighting Project.  The report also contained an explanation of some of the processes and activities still to be completed and the positive and significant benefits that the project would produce. 

 

Members were provided with Ward specific data to help them evaluate the benefit to their local areas.

 

The main aim of the project was to significantly reduce energy usage, maintenance costs and a reduction in the district’s carbon output.  The majority of the work would be carried out by an external contractor who would be carrying out surveys of all the existing street lighting assets within the District. Surveys would also assist the Council in identifying upgrade works to lighting assets.

 

The delivery contractor had also pledged to fulfil a number of targets which had social value (e.g. apprenticeships, local suppliers and Duke of Edinburgh enrolment for employees under 23 years and 6 months of age).  These would contribute benefits in the region of £3.8M.

 

It was intended to set up a webpage and designated email address for enquiries.  Lantern by lantern energy savings would be available to view and would also enable regular reporting of energy savings and carbon usage reductions.

 

Officers advised that 42,000 assets had been surveyed and work on instalments was due to start in April 2021.  Cut downs would be addressed in the meantime if lighting was compromised.

 

Members were then given the opportunity to make comments and ask questions, the details of which and the responses given are as below:

 

A Member asked whether there was a contract in place in the event of power supply issues and was advised that there was a contract in place with Amey.

 

Officers were asked about the rationale behind the installation schedule and advised that the delivery was down to the contractor who would install as they saw fit to but that they were contracted to deliver the whole project with associated risks staying with them.

 

A Member asked whether there would be more maintenance required for the new style lamps and was advised that those replaced in the interim were a hybrid design as old style lamps were no longer available.  These were a LED replacement and not full luminair.

 

A Member asked about the cut downs in Baildon and whether these would be replaced with new installations.  Officers advised that these would be replaced ahead of the new project if there were multiple units in the same vicinity, a solution was being worked on prior to the scheduled new replacements being installed.  Officers further stated that they were open to adding specific problem areas to a priority list.

 

A Member asked whether there were plans to switch lights off or dim them down to save money and was advised by Officers that the new units could be controlled individually and could be controlled and managed dynamically.

 

A  ...  view the full minutes text for item 16.

17.

PROTECTING CHILDREN AND VULNERABLE ADULTS AT RISK OF EXPLOITATION pdf icon PDF 1 MB

The report of the Chief Executive Office (Document “AJ”) provides an update to and builds on the report presented to the District Area Committees previously regarding the issue of Child Exploitation (CE). It focuses on the Strategic Response to all forms of exploitation in Children and Adults and how partners from the Working Together to Safeguard Children.  It also outlines the emergence of other complex safeguarding themes and outlines how partners are effectively collaborating and focussing upon the protection of vulnerable Children and Adults.

 

Recommended –

 

1)         That The Area Committee is invited to consider the contents of this report and how members can support local activity.

 

2)         That The Area Committee shall receive a further update on the progress of the response to exploitation in 12 months’ time.

 

3)         That partners will seek further funding opportunities from Government funding streams to enable to continuation of service provision as outlined in this report.

 

(Darren Minton – 01274 434361)

 

 

Minutes:

The report of the Chief Executive’s Office (Document “AJ”) was presented to the Committee to provide and update to the report previously presented to the Area Committee regarding the issue of Child Exploitation.  The Bradford partnership (TBP) scrutinised the District responses to this and provided professional challenge to those responses.

 

The report also focused on the strategic response to all forms of exploitation to children and adults and how partners were contributing to improve service provision across the District.  Through collaborative working, awareness and understanding had been improved to enable professionals to recognise and respond to wider types of exploitation. 

 

TBP partners have recognised the emergence of wider safeguarding themes within TBP Strategic Plan 2019/20 and the Risk and Vulnerabilities in Complex Safeguarding sub group have agreed on a district strategic response to exploitation under the following six headings.

 

(1)   Identify and understand the nature and scale of the themes involved.
(2)  Prevention, Education and Awareness
(3)  Safeguarding vulnerable people, groups and communities
(4)  Effective leadership and governance
(5)  Disrupt and Prosecute.
(6)  Communication, Engagement and Empowerment

 

Officers advised that partners finalised a strategic response to CE and to Risk and Vulnerabilities in Complex Safeguarding, publishing an Exploitation Protocol and a Risk Assessment tool.  Front door arrangements within Children’s Social Care were extended to address wider exploitation utilising new multi-agency processes.  Training was continually provided by the Bradford district Police Cyber Team and other partners relating to exploitation and online safety.

 

The report provided details of the partner organisations involved and how changes in legislation affected and guided Governance and Infrastructure.  It also details the various categories of exploitation and how the partnership was working to tackle the issues raised.  The report contained links to guidance documents and to real life accounts of abuse plus a summary of the position in terms of Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) and Child Criminal Exploitation (CCE) within the District, how they were categorised and what they entailed.

 

Officers stated that there was a consistent multi-agency approach with daily risk assessment meetings taking place.  The processes in place were robust and had been checked by external organisations such as Ofsted.  Funding was being sought to develop exploitation hubs to provide a service 24/7.

 

Members were then given the opportunity to make comments and ask questions, the details of which and the responses given are as below:

 

·         Young people had been affected by the preceding difficult twelve months, the response to which going forward would be unknown.  What potential was there for a time bomb?

·      In response, officers advised that there would be individual scrutiny with a degree of collaboration between agencies.  The children missing from home figure was down, due to better protocols and missing from school roll numbers were being well managed.  Parents who chose to educate at home was still a concern as support from schools would not continue.  However, the situation around vulnerability of these children was being checked with a very small number of considerable concern.  Schools did so much more  ...  view the full minutes text for item 17.