Agenda, decisions and minutes

Shipley Area Committee
Wednesday, 6th November, 2019 6.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Bingley Town Hall. View directions

Contact: Jill Bell/Asad Shah  01274 434580/2280

Items
No. Item

21.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)

 

To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.

 

An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.

 

Notes:

 

(1)       Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct.  Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.

 

(2)       Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them.  A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. 

 

(3)       Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.

 

(4)       Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.

 

Minutes:

No disclosures of interest in matters under consideration were received.

 

 

22.

MINUTES

Recommended –

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 17 and 31 July 2019 be signed as a correct record (previously circulated).

 

(Asad Shah – 01274 432280)

Minutes:

Resolved –

 

That the minutes of the meetings held 17 and 31 July 2019 be signed as correct records.

 

Action: City Solicitor

 

 

23.

INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item.  Certain reports and background papers may be restricted. 

 

Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report. 

 

If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting. 

 

Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal. 

 

(Asad Shah - 01274 432280)

 

Minutes:

There were no appeals submitted by the public to review decisions to restrict documents.

 

 

24.

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

To hear questions from electors within the District on any matter this is the responsibility of the Committee. 

 

Questions must be received in writing by the City Solicitor in Room 112, City Hall, Bradford, BD1 1HY, by mid-day on Monday 4 November 2019.

 

(Asad Shah - 01274 432280)

 

Minutes:

There were no questions submitted by the public.

 

 

25.

OBJECTIONS TO TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER (TRO) WAITING RESTRICTIONS ON GREEN ROAD, A SECTION OF BROWGATE, AND THE SUMMERFIELD CLOSE/WEST LANE JUNCTION, BAILDON. pdf icon PDF 2 MB

The report of the Strategic Director (Place) (Document “K”) considers two objections received from local residents regarding a proposed TRO to introduce waiting restrictions on Green Road, a section of Browgate, and the Summerfield Close/West Lane junction, Baildon.

 

Recommended -

 

(1)          That the proposed TRO (as shown within Drawing No.P/HS/THN/104075/CON-1A (attached as Appendix 1 of Document “K”)) be approved, sealed and implemented as formally advertised.

 

(2)          That thee objectors be advised accordingly.

 

(Simon D’Vali - 01274 431000)

Minutes:

The report of the Strategic Director, Place (Document “K”) considered two objections received from local residents regarding a proposed Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to introduce waiting restrictions on Green Road, a section of Browgate, and the Summerfield Close/West Lane junction, Baildon.

 

The Senior Engineer was present and give a synopsis of the report, in particular, outlined concerns raised by the two objectors.

 

Following introduction, the objectors present were invited by the Chair to make their representations to the Committee –

·         Objector 1 - That the initiative to apply traffic measures were to reduce discriminative parking on an existing congested Green Road. Green Road was currently a rat run for drivers especially during peak traffic periods for the purpose of avoiding the signal junction of Otley Road / Baildon Road. He had witnessed two accidents that had occurred in the past couple of years. Implementation of speed bumps was a better solution to resolve current issues.

 

·         Objector 2 - Proposals to introduce double yellow lines outside nos. 1 – 7  Green Road would generate significant parking issues for residents due to a lack of suitable parking spaces available. Following the purchase of a new vehicle, money had been invested heavily in the installation of CCTV in his home. That his father had been diagnosed with Cancer and therefore required the parking of his vehicle a close to his home as possible. The proposed TRO would have a detrimental effect on the current value of properties on Green Road. That the consideration of a one-way traffic on Green Road should be considered by the Committee.

 

During the discussion a Member stressed her point on maintaining residents parking outside of their homes; another Member highlighted that issues with parking already existed due to non residents parking their vehicles on Green Road and Browgate.

 

The Chair stated that in addition to residents making representations due to the proposal directly affecting their everyday lives, it was equally important to hear from other community members and therefore invited the ex Chair of Baildon Town Council to make his representations to the Committee. The representative began by stating that –

·         On 25 July 2018, this Committee authorised the promotion of the proposed TRO (it being agreed that Baildon Parish Council fund the proposed scheme in full).  Baildon Parish Council subsequently undertook consultations with local residents regarding the proposed TRO.

·         It was important for the Committee to be mindful of the fact that there were parking spaces available behind nos. 1 – 7 Green Road hence his full support of the proposal.

·         That if parking was to be continued then it was not necessarily being used by residents of the street. There were issues of parking for residents opposite 1 – 7 Green Road.

·         That due to a heavy stone wall from number 6 onwards, pedestrians were unable to walk on the pavement directly outside of 1 – 7 Green Road and therefore having to walk across the road and onto the opposite narrow footpath. It  ...  view the full minutes text for item 25.

26.

PETITION REQUESTING FUNDING FOR A ZEBRA CROSSING AND WIDEN A SECTION OF FOOTWAY MAIN STREET, MENSTON, ADJACENT TO MENSTON PRIMARY SCHOOL. pdf icon PDF 2 MB

The report of the Strategic Director (Place) (Document “L”) considers a petition requesting that the Council funds and installs a zebra crossing facility and widens a section of footway in Main Street, Menston, outside  Menston Primary School.

 

Recommended -

 

(1)          That the petitioners’ request for a formal pedestrian crossing and widening of a section of footway in Main Street adjacent to Menston Primary school remains on the list of scheme candidates to be considered by this Committee when it next agrees its Safer Roads Programme.

 

(2)          That the lead petitioner be informed accordingly.

 

(Simon D’Vali - 01274 431000)

Minutes:

The report of the Strategic Director, Place (Document “L”) considered a petition requesting that the Council funds and installs a zebra crossing facility and widens a section of footway in Main Street, Menston, outside  Menston Primary School.

 

The Senior Engineer started the discussion of this item by giving a synopsis of the report to the Committee.

 

Following introduction, the Chair invited the lead petitioner to come forward and make representations to the Committee. He made the following points –

·         There were many families that attended Menston Primary School on a daily basis;

·         That the school was situated just off a busy main junction and families with young children were having to cross this junction;

·         That the junction also entailed a very narrow footway which did not have enough space for a pushchair;

·         The support for the proposal was not only from the school but equally, other pedestrians who used this junction on a daily basis; and,

·         The risk of an injury resulting from an accident is potentially great and hence outweighs the financial and resources aspects involved in the implementation of the proposal.

 

The Chair commented on the fact that when financial resources were limited then it was paramount that value for money schemes were drawn up. It was transparent that the school and the local community was very supportive of the proposal for the sole reasons being the safety of pedestrians.

 

Two Wharfedale Ward Councillors were in attendance as observers and invited by the Chair to make representations to the Committee, as follows –

·         Councillor 1 - She wished to take this opportunity in thanking the Committee for taking the time in considering this worthwhile proposal which potentially would prevent accidents and injuries to pedestrians and motorists; and,

·         Councillor 2 – He wished to stress the need to always work with parties that certain issues would affect and on this occasion, working alongside the school, families of children attending the school and the Parish Council and to move forward with what suited the school and children attending the school best.

 

The Chair pointed out from the report that Menston Primary School and Menston Parish Council have indicated that they may be prepared to contribute financial resources and therefore –

 

Resolved –

 

(1)       That the petitioners’ request for a formal pedestrian crossing and         widening of a section of footway in Main Street adjacent to   Menston Primary School remains on the list of scheme candidates   to be considered by this Committee for possible inclusion within          its future Safer Roads Programme.

 

(2)       That highways officers approach Menston Parish Council to      determine what, if any, financial contribution can be made by the      Parish Council towards the cost of a zebra crossing and/or            footway widening works on Main  Street, Menston within the      vicinity of Menston Primary School.

 

(3)       Where a financial contribution is offered by Menston Parish        Council, that the  financial sum constitute a legal and binding       contract on the part of the Parish Council.

 

(4)       That highway officers investigate the possibility  ...  view the full minutes text for item 26.

27.

OBJECTIONS RECEIVED TO PROPOSED TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER TO INTRODUCE PARKING RESTRICTIONS IN PROD LANE, BAILDON pdf icon PDF 1 MB

The report of the Strategic Director (Place) (Document “M”) considers four objections received from local residents regarding a proposed Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to introduce parking restrictions in Prod Lane, Baildon.

 

Recommended -

 

(1)          That the proposed TRO (as shown within Drawing No. P/HS/THN/102807/CON-1A (attached as Appendix 1 of Document “M”)) be approved, sealed and implemented as formally advertised. 

                                                                                   

(2)          That the objectors be advised accordingly.

 

(Simon D’Vali - 01274 431000)

Minutes:

The report of the Strategic Director, Place (Document “M”) considered four objections received from local residents regarding a proposed Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to introduce parking restrictions in Prod Lane, Baildon.

 

The Senior Engineer introduced the report to the Committee.

 

Following introduction, a question and answer session ensued –

·         Is the whole proposed TRO to be financed through a S106 agreement or a part of the scheme to be financially contributed by the Council?

o   The Council would not be contributing funding to the proposed TRO. It was being funded in full by the Developer of Chestnut Gardens (the proposed TRO forming part of a Section 106 planning agreement);

·         Had the Planning Department approved a further 5 houses for development?

o   Yes and residents at the location would require ample parking spaces for visitors; and,

·         What were the proposal for the timings of disabled parking?

o   3 hours.

 

The Chair stressed the point of the proposal was for the use of the S106 agreement for the proposed TRO and if the Committee refrained form moving forward with the officer recommendation, with or without Committee amendments then the Council may lose the S106 agreement.

 

He further stated that having taken into consideration the written objections, it was equally important for the Committee to have representations heard by individuals affected by the proposal. Therefore the Chair invited objectors who were present at the meeting to make representations to the Committee, as follows –

·         Representative for Shipley Glen Cable Tramway - That passengers on the Shipley Glen Cable Tramway were in its thousands and a proportion being disabled. There had been many visits to the historic tramway since the beginning of 2019. There were plans to rebuild the station. A regular working party for the tramway required the need of sufficient space for parking their vehicles. Contractors needed to park large vehicles in this vicinity and the proposed restrictions would cause nothing less than a detrimental operational impact on the station;

·         Resident of 2 Prod Lane – She had purchased a property in June and moved in July 2019. That the one of the reasons for the choice of the property was due to the availability of on street parking directly outside the house. Numbers 5 – 7 Prod Lane had shared driveways and her newly purchased property had a one car space in their driveway. That if the proposal was moved in favour of the officer recommendation then one member of the family would not be able to park directly outside of the house; and,

·         Resident of Prod Lane – There were no current significant issues with parking. Visitors of Shipley Glen Cable Tramway only attended during occasions and so the reaction to parking was a unnecessary panic and not required for a permanent basis. A proposed 14 spaces for 35 houses was not an ideal proposal. The top end of Prod Lane did have cause for parking concerns but not the whole of Prod Lane.

 

A Baildon Ward Councillor  ...  view the full minutes text for item 27.

28.

LOCAL HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE - UPDATE & FUNCTION OVERVIEW pdf icon PDF 215 KB

The report of the Strategic Director (Place) (Document “N”) details how the Planning, Transportation & Highways service currently manages the Local Highway Maintenance (LHM) function and allocates resources.

 

It also updates the committee with regard to current operations being undertaken on the network and the costs of works undertaken in the current financial year.

 

Recommended -

 

(1)       That the Shipley Area Committee notes the current operational methods adopted for Local Highway Maintenance.

(2)       That the Shipley Area Committee notes the costs to date for the            2019/20 financial year.

(3)       That the Shipley Area Committee notes the 2018/19 updated list of        CAT C and D works as shown in Appendix 5.

(4)       That the Shipley Area Committee notes the list of completed and           ordered CAT C and D works for 2019/20 as shown in Appendix 6.

(5)       That the Shipley Area Committee notes the details of gullies       cleaned within the constituency as shown in Appendix 7.

(Andy Fisher - 01535 618297)

Minutes:

The report of the Strategic Director, Place (Document “N”) detailed how the Planning, Transportation & Highways service managed the Local Highway Maintenance function and allocates resources.

 

It also updated the committee with regard to current operations being undertaken on the network and the costs of works undertaken in the current financial year.

 

The Principal Engineer, Highway and Maintenance North was present and gave a synopsis of the report.

 

A question and answer session ensued:

·         An update was sought on gully cleaning?

o   The cleaning of gullies was part way through the Bingley Ward and yet further cleansing continuing; and,

·         Why had cleansing taken a significant time?

o   This was a very time consuming task that covered a very large area of Bradford and fact that only one tanker vehicle covered the Keighley and Shipley constituencies and two vehicles covered the Bradford West, East and South constituencies. With a total of 97,604 gullies across the district, these vehicles cleaned 50-80 gullies per day. Main arterial routes had been cleaned annually, secondary routes and side roads had also been cleaned on average every two years.

 

Resolved –

 

(1)       That the current operational methods adopted for Local Highway         Maintenance be noted.

 

(2)       That the costs to date for Local Highway Maintenance in the       2019/20 financial year, as highlighted in Document “N”, be           noted.

 

(3)       That the 2018/19 updated list of CAT C and D works as shown in          Appendix 5, attached to Document “N”, be noted.

 

(4)       That the list of completed and ordered CAT C and D works for   2019/20 as shown in Appendix 6, attached to Document “N”, be    noted.

 

(5)       That the details of gullies cleaned within the constituency as      shown in Appendix 7, attached to Document “N”, be noted.

 

ACTION: Strategic Director, Place