Agenda, decisions and minutes

Shipley Area Committee
Wednesday, 6th March, 2019 6.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber - Shipley Town Hall. View directions

Contact: Palbinder Sandhu 

Items
No. Item

48.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)

 

To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.

 

An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.

 

Notes:

 

(1)       Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct.  Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.

 

(2)       Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them.  A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. 

 

(3)       Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.

 

(4)       Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.

 

Minutes:

During the meeting Councillor Jenkins disclosed that she was employed at Kirkgate Community Centre, Shipley in relation to the Allocation of Community Buildings Grants 2019-21 (Minute 55”).  She did not take part in the discussion and voting on this item.

 

ACTION: City Solicitor

49.

INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item.  Certain reports and background papers may be restricted. 

 

Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report. 

 

If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting. 

 

Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal. 

 

(Palbinder Sandhu - 01274 432269)

 

Minutes:

There were no appeals submitted by the public to review decisions to restrict documents. 

50.

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

To hear questions from electors within the District on any matter this is the responsibility of the Committee. 

 

Questions must be received in writing by the City Solicitor in Room 112, City Hall, Bradford, BD1 1HY, by mid-day on Monday 4 March 2019.

 

(Palbinder Sandhu - 01274 432269)

 

Minutes:

There were no questions submitted by the public.

51.

*SHIPLEY AREA COMMITTEE AND SHIPLEY CONSTITUENCY AREA PARTNERS' ADVISORY GROUP (SCAPAG) ISSUES

Up to a maximum of 15 minutes will be allowed for SCAPAG members to raise new items of information, questions, requests or suggestions that may have arisen within their organisation/neighbourhood and which are relevant to raise at the meeting.

 

Issues raised in accordance with the above must be received in writing by the Shipley Area Co-ordinator’s Office in Shipley Town Hall, Shipley, BD18 3EJ, by mid-day on Monday 4 March 2019.

 

(Damian Fisher – 01274 437146)

Decision:

No resolution was passed on this item.

Minutes:

The Area Co-ordinator informed the Committee that no SCAPAG issues had been received for this meeting.

 

No resolution was passed on this item.

52.

*SCAPAG MEETING NOTES - 16 JANUARY 2019 pdf icon PDF 113 KB

The Area Co-ordinator will present the notes (Document “U”) of SCAPAG contributions made at the meeting with the Area Committee held on 16 January 2019.

 

Recommended –

 

That the notes be received.                                            

(Damian Fisher – 01274 437146)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

That the notes be received.

 

NO ACTION

Minutes:

The Area Co-ordinator presented the notes (Document “U”) of SCAPAG contributions made at the meeting with the Area Committee held on 16 January 2019.

 

Resolved –

 

That the notes be received.

 

NO ACTION

53.

SHIPLEY AREA NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING TEAM ACTIVITY TO ADDRESS THE "SAFER COMMUNITIES" PRIORITIES WITHIN THE SHIPLEY CONSTITUENCY WARD PLANS FOR 2017-2019 pdf icon PDF 466 KB

The Shipley Area Co-ordinator will submit Document “V” which gives an update of some of the work undertaken by the Shipley Area Neighbourhood Policing Team and an overview of the Shipley Constituency Performance data.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)       That the work undertaken by the Shipley Area Neighbourhood Policing Team from 1 February 2018 to 31 January 2019 that contributed to addressing priorities within the ward plans for the Shipley Area be noted.

 

(2)       That the positive partnership working that has been established with Elected Members, Council Officers, community organisations, volunteers and residents within the Shipley Area be noted.

 

(Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Damian Fisher – 01274 437062)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

(1)       That the work undertaken by the Shipley Area Neighbourhood Policing Team from 1 February 2018 to 31 January 2019 that contributed to addressing priorities within the ward plans for the Shipley Area be noted.

 

(2)       That the positive partnership working that has been established with Elected Members, Council Officers, community organisations, volunteers and residents within the Shipley Area be noted.

 

NO ACTION

Minutes:

The Shipley Area Co-ordinator submitted Document “V” which gave an update of some of the work undertaken by the Shipley Area Neighbourhood Policing Team and an overview of the Shipley Constituency Performance data.

 

Inspector Julie Deacon of the Shipley Neighbourhood Policing Team (NPT) and Inspector Craig Stothers, who was due to take up the post of Inspector from 1 April, were in attendance at the meeting.  The Chair thanked Inspector Julie Deacon for the work she had undertaken within the Shipley Constituency whilst in her current post over the past three years and wished her well in her new role.  He also welcomed Inspector Craig Stothers to his new role.

 

Inspector Julie Deacon provided a summary of the report and outlined that whilst there had been a slight overall increase in crime (269 instances) compared to the previous year, there had been a significant reduction in crimes such as burglary, theft of and theft from motor vehicles.  She also stated that over the past year there had been six Criminal Behaviour Orders served within the Shipley constituency area.  She provided a summary of the work undertaken within each Ward area as outlined in the report and spoke of the process followed by the Police when dealing with burglaries.

 

In response to Members’ questions, it was reported that:

 

·         Enforcement in relation to obstructions on the highway came under the Police’s remit.

·         Officers were aware of reports made of speeding on the A65, Burley-in-Wharfedale and whilst the frequency of officers visiting the site could not be specified, Members were assured that Operation Steerside officers would be directed to assist in tackling this issue.

·         Targeted work was being undertaken to tackle drugs offences in Wharfedale.

·         Responding to serious violent crimes which included domestic violence and sexual offences did not fall under the remit of the NPT and were therefore not listed in the report.

·         Whilst there had been incidents of knife crime reported, the extent of the problem was low within the Shipley constituency area.

·         A panel met weekly to consider anti-social behaviour related cases. 

·         Within the report and in relation to anti-social behaviour, ‘yellow’ referred to the issuing of yellow awareness letters, ‘red’ referred to warning letters and ABC was an acronym for Acceptable Behaviour Contracts.

 

It was agreed that up to date NPT contact details would be circulated to Members.

 

Resolved –

 

(1)       That the work undertaken by the Shipley Area Neighbourhood Policing Team from 1 February 2018 to 31 January 2019 that contributed to addressing priorities within the ward plans for the Shipley Area be noted.

 

(2)       That the positive partnership working that has been established with Elected Members, Council Officers, community organisations, volunteers and residents within the Shipley Area be noted.

 

NO ACTION

54.

CONSULTATION ON THE PREVENTION AND EARLY HELP ESTATES STRATEGY PROPOSAL pdf icon PDF 314 KB

The report of the Interim Strategic Director, Children’s Services,

(Document “W”) presents the proposal for consultation for the use of buildings within the Prevention and Early Help Services.

 

Members are requested to note the details contained in Document “W” and for their comments.

 

(Children’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Jenny Cryer – 01274 432438)

 

Decision:

Resolved –

 

That additional background information be circulated to Members to stimulate a meaningful contribution to the consultation  and that meetings be held with ward Members to obtain their views.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Children’s Services

ACTION: Interim Strategic Director, Children’s Services

Minutes:

The report of the Interim Strategic Director, Children’s Services, (Document “W”) presented the proposal for consultation for the use of buildings within the Prevention and Early Help Services.

 

This follows the creation of a new 0-19 years Prevention and Early Help Service that was informed by a public consultation carried out between November 2017 and February 2018; and a decision by Executive on 3 April 2018 that the use of buildings be reviewed to look for ways in which the two year additional funding for staffing could be sustained through different use of buildings assets.

 

Members were reminded that there would be one locality area covering the Keighley and Shipley areas and were asked to consider the buildings in the Shipley constituency area as detailed in paragraph 9.9 of the report.

 

A Member sought clarity on what exactly Members were being asked to comment on as he considered the report was not clear.  He commented that no alternative buildings had been put forward in the report to those listed within paragraph 9.9 of the report and he was unclear of the criteria being considered.  In response, it was clarified that the consultation was part of a buildings review for a service that had been developing over the past two years.  There was a need to consider what was currently being delivered, what was missing, the cost of running services from buildings and those buildings that were currently under-utilised in order to provide a value for money service.  Members were asked to consider what was required within their wards and to inform offices if they knew of provision from any buildings not listed within the report.

 

The Chair suggested that officers circulate background information to provide clarity on the consultation process and then meet with all Ward Members individually to discuss their particular ward areas and to receive their comments as part of the consultation.  He also spoke of pockets of deprivation within affluent areas and the need to assure people in those circumstances that if a service from a particular building stopped, support was still available.

 

During the discussion it was stated that alternative provision to that currently delivered from Sandal School in Baildon was being considered.  Following a Member’s concern about this change, it was stated that the school had the option to consider co-delivering services or providing it themselves.  It was also stated that it would be better to have services delivered from a building in the Baildon area which was appropriate for older children and accessible for people from lower Baildon.

 

In response to a Member’s question, it was reported that the outcomes of the service delivery were monitored locally and nationally but examples of what the service hoped to achieve in the long term included an increase in the number of children attending school, a decrease in the number of children on the child protection register and a decrease in childhood obesity figures.  Members were informed that the outcomes framework could be shared with them and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 54.

55.

ALLOCATION OF COMMUNITY BUILDINGS GRANTS FOR 2019-2021 pdf icon PDF 90 KB

The Strategic Director, Place will submit a report (Document “X”) which outlines the recommendations of the Shipley Area Committee Grants Advisory Group for the allocation of Community Buildings Grants 2019-2021.

 

Recommended –

 

That the Community Buildings Grants as set out in paragraph 3.1 of Document “X” be approved.

 

(Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Mahmood Mohammed - 01274 437399)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

That the Community Buildings Grants as set out in paragraph 3.1 of Document “X” be approved.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Corporate Services

ACTION: Strategic Director, Place

Minutes:

The Strategic Director, Place submitted a report (Document “X”) which outlined the recommendations of the Shipley Area Committee Grants Advisory Group for the allocation of Community Buildings Grants 2019-2021.

 

The Shipley Area Co-ordinator presented the report.  He stated that the Grants Advisory Group had met on 13 February 2019 to review the Community Building Grants applications received for the area and their recommendations (totalling £30,225 for 2019-20 and £30,225 for 2020-21, subject to funding)  were listed in paragraph 3.1 of the report. 

 

A Member commented on the lack of background information to inform Members about the decision-making process undertaken by the Grant Advisory Group’s. He stated that the report also did not provide details on the bids received in order for a comparison to be made to the funding that was being proposed for approval.  In response, the Shipley Area Co-ordinator stated that he would feed this information back to the officers who were overseeing the process. 

 

The Chair, who was a member of the Grants Advisory Group, stated that the grant applications that had been received were significantly higher than those listed in paragraph 3.1 of the report and that a criteria had been followed by the Grants Advisory Group in making their recommendations, which had been done on a pro rata percentage rate.

 

It was agreed that the Shipley Area Co-ordinator would obtain and circulate to Members the background information to the decisions put forward by the Grants Advisory Group. 

 

Another Member commented that the report made no reference to the Community Buildings Grants allocations approved in the previous year and requested that this be provided too.

 

Resolved –

 

That the Community Buildings Grants as set out in paragraph 3.1 of Document “X” be approved.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Corporate Services

ACTION: Strategic Director, Place

56.

STREET CLEANSING - SERVICE REDESIGN AND DEPLOYMENT OF RESOURCES pdf icon PDF 511 KB

The Shipley Area Co-ordinator will submit Document “Y” which provides information on the service redesign of Street Cleansing and options for operational deployment of resources.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)       That the service redesign for gateways be adopted.

 

(2)       That officers draft an agreed plan based on option 2 (as outlined in Document “Y”) with input from the Street Cleansing Member sub group and a report be brought back to this Committee as soon as possible with detailed working patterns.  

 

(3)       That, in the interim, officers trial a model based on option 2.

 

(4)       That the Committee review the model after a 6 month trial period.

 

(Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee & Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Damian Fisher – 01274 437062)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

(1)       That the service redesign for gateways be adopted.

 

(2)       That officers draft an agreed plan based on option 2 (as outlined in Document “Y”) with input from the Street Cleansing Member sub group and a report be brought back to this Committee as soon as possible with detailed working patterns.  

 

(3)       That, in the interim, officers trial a model based on option 2.

 

(4)       That the Committee review the model after a 6 month trial period.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Corporate / Regeneration and Environment

ACTION: Strategic Director, Place

Minutes:

The Shipley Area Co-ordinator submitted Document “Y” which provided information on the service redesign of Street Cleansing and options for operational deployment of resources. 

 

He presented the options for consideration by the Committee as outlined in his report and recommended option 2 for approval.  He stated the proposed model would be easy to programme and performance manage and would allow for flexibility.  He reported that this matter would be further discussed with the Street Cleansing Member sub group and Parish Councils later in the month and that he was keen to continue partnership working arrangements with Parish Council’s and other community groups.

 

A Member requested to see route maps and frequencies for the works.

 

Members were informed that some routes would cross over into wards in other constituency areas.

 

During the discussion, the Shipley Area Co-ordinator stated that a lot of the problems associated with littering required changes in behaviour and tackling this would be part of the role of the three Litter Prevention Officers.  He also informed Members of an upcoming campaign called ‘It’s Still Littering’ which aimed to tackle ‘careful littering’ e.g. food and drink packaging left behind when people were eating/drinking ‘on the go’. 

 

A Member requested that Cliffe Avenue in Baildon be added to the gateways and priority routes list (Appendix A of Document “Y”).

 

It was reported that consultations would take place with Members in relation to the gateways and priority routes list.

 

Resolved –

 

(1)       That the service redesign for gateways be adopted.

 

(2)       That officers draft an agreed plan based on option 2 (as outlined in Document “Y”) with input from the Street Cleansing Member sub group and a report be brought back to this Committee as soon as possible with detailed working patterns.  

 

(3)       That, in the interim, officers trial a model based on option 2.

 

(4)       That the Committee review the model after a 6 month trial period.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Corporate / Regeneration and Environment

ACTION: Strategic Director, Place

57.

SHIPLEY WARD PLANS 2019-21 pdf icon PDF 230 KB

The Shipley Area Co-ordinator will submit Document “Z” which presents six new Ward Plans for consideration by the Area Committee.

 

Recommended –

 

That the six new ward plans for 2019 to 2021 be approved and adopted.

 

(Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Damian Fisher – 01274 437062)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

That the six new ward plans for 2019 to 2021 be approved and adopted.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Corporate Services

ACTION: Strategic Director, Place

Minutes:

The Shipley Area Co-ordinator submitted Document “Z” which presented six new Ward Plans for consideration by the Area Committee.

 

In response to a Member’s question, he reported that community service via Community Payback was used very frequently within the constituency area.

 

Resolved –

 

That the six new ward plans for 2019 to 2021 be approved and adopted.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Corporate Services

ACTION: Strategic Director, Place