Agenda, decisions and minutes

Keighley Area Committee
Thursday, 19th July, 2018 6.15 pm

Venue: Council Chamber - Keighley Town Hall. View directions

Contact: Jane Lythgow 

Items
No. Item

13.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)

 

To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.

 

An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.

 

Notes:

 

(1)       Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct.  Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.

 

(2)       Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them.  A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. 

 

(3)       Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.

 

(4)       Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.

 

Minutes:

Councillors Brown, Godwin, Hussain and Smith disclosed that they had been present at the Area Planning Panel (Keighley and Shipley) meeting held on 11 July 2018 where a planning application concerning Land at Dale View/Beverley Rise (Minute 15 ) had been considered. 

 

Although the item being considered at the meeting was a separate issue, they undertook to approach the item with an open mind and to consider all the relevant issues before making a decision

14.

INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item.  Certain reports and background papers may be restricted. 

 

Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report. 

 

If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting. 

 

Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal. 

 

(Jane Lythgow - 01274 432270)

 

Minutes:

There were no appeals submitted by the public to review decisions to restrict documents.

15.

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

To hear questions from electors within the District on any matter this is the responsibility of the Committee. 

 

Questions must be received in writing by the City Solicitor in Room 112, City Hall, Bradford, BD1 1HY, by mid-day on Tuesday 17 July 2018.

 

(Jane Lythgow - 01274 432270)

 

Minutes:

There were no questions submitted by the public.

16.

NOMINATION TO LIST ASSETS AS ASSETS OF COMMUNITY VALUE - LAND AT JUNCTION OF DALE VIEW AND BEVERLEY RISE; LAND AT BACK GROVE ROAD AND WHEATLEY LANE FORMER PUBLIC CONVENIENCES pdf icon PDF 398 KB

The report of the Interim Strategic Director, Corporate Resources,

(Document “E”) informs Members that the Council has received nominations to list land at the junction of Dale View and Beverley Rise; land at Back Grove Road and a form public convenience on Wheatley Lane, as Assets of Community Value under the Localism Act 2011.

 

The report considers whether the nomination and nominated asset meet the Asset of Community Value criteria set out in the Localism Act and contains a recommendation as to whether or not the nomination should be approved.

 

Recommended –

 

1)    That in accordance with option 1, contained in Document “E” the nomination of land at the junction of Dale View and Beverley List be approved as an Asset of Community Value on the grounds that is does meet the criteria and definition of an Asset of Community Value as set out in the Localism Act 2011.

 

2)    That in accordance with option 1, contained in Document “E” the nomination of land at Back Grove Road be approved as an Asset of Community Value on the grounds that is does meet the criteria and definition of an Asset of Community Value as set out in the Localism Act 2011.

 

3)    That in accordance with option 2, contained in Document “E”, the nomination  of the former public convenience at Wheatley Lane be rejected on the grounds that it does not meet the criteria and definition of an Asset of Community Value as set out in the Localism Act 2011.

 

(Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Area)          (Nigel Gillatt – 01274 434224)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the Interim Strategic Director, Corporate Resources,

(Document “E”) informed Members that the Council had received nominations to list land at the junction of Dale View and Beverley Rise; land at Back Grove Road and a form public convenience on Wheatley Lane, as Assets of Community Value under the Localism Act 2011.

 

The report considered whether each nomination and asset met the Asset of Community Value criteria set out in the Localism Act and contained a recommendation as to whether or not the nomination should be approved.

 

Document “E” included  the definition of an Asset of Community Value and identified who could nominate an asset to be listed.

 

The four criteria which must be fulfilled for an asset to be listed were reported and it was confirmed that all three nominations included in the report had been considered against that criterion.  An individual assessment of each nomination against the criteria was included in the report.

 

Each nomination was discussed separately and following a detailed presentation on each one a number of issues were raised to which the following responses were provided:-

 

Land at the junction of Dale View and Beverley Rise

 

The freehold land adjacent to Dale View and Beverley Rise belonged to the property at 5 Dale View.  The land, however, formed part of the adopted highway and as such was excluded from HM Land Registry.

 

It was confirmed that the nominee, Ilkley Parish Council, was eligible to make the nomination.  The land was not exempt from nomination as it was not part of the curtilage of the property at 5 Dale View.  The asset formed essential green space within a built up area and it was regularly used as a children’s play space and dog walking area.  It was believed that the land would continue to be used in a way which would further the social well being and social interests of the community within the next five years.  Following legal appraisal the Strategic Director had been advised to list the land as an Asset of Community Value.

 

A recent planning application which had been submitted by the residents of 5 Dale View had been refused and an appeal against that decision had been lodged.  It was explained that had the planning application been approved a Traffic Regulation Order would have been required to remove the land from the adopted highway.

 

A legal representative for the owners of 5 Dale View addressed the meeting.  He explained that an application had been submitted to HM Land Registry regarding the land. HM Land Registry had confirmed that the land formed part of the adopted highway but was included within the property at 5 Dale View’s red line boundary.  The planning application had been made in an attempt to have the land excluded from the highway and included in the curtilage of the property. 

 

The legal representative referred to comments contained in the report presented to the Area Planning Panel (Keighley and Shipley) which he believed were contrary  ...  view the full minutes text for item 16.

17.

CALLED IN DECISION - HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE NON-CLASSIFIED ROADS AND SURFACE DRESSING ALLOCATION FOR KEIGHLEY CONSTITUENCY 2018/19 pdf icon PDF 275 KB

At its meeting on 5 April 2018 Members of this Committee considered a report of the Strategic Director, Place (Keighley Area Committee Document “W”) which asked them to consider the Highway Maintenance Non-Classified Roads and Surface Dressing Allocation for the Keighley Constituency 2018-2019. 

 

At that meeting it was resolved –

 

That with the following substitution in Appendix 2 the proposed programme of works for 2018/19 as shown in Appendices 2 and 3 of Document “W” be approved.

 

·         The proposed scheme at Wesley Place, Silsden be replaced with the scheme proposed at St Johns Street Silsden and Wesley Place be moved to the reserve list.

 

The decision of the Committee was subsequently called in and considered by the Environment and Waste Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 17 April 2018.  The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “F”) advises Members of the discussions which took place at that meeting and that the Committee resolved to refer the matter back to Keighley Area Committee with a request that the original decision be considered in light of comments made at the meeting on 17 April 2018.

 

Recommended –

 

That the proposed programme of works for 2018/19 as shown at Appendix 1 to Document “F” be approved.

 

(Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Andy Fisher – 01535 618297)

Minutes:

At its meeting on 5 April 2018 Members of this Committee considered a report of the Strategic Director, Place (Keighley Area Committee Document “W”) which asked them to consider the Highway Maintenance Non-Classified Roads and Surface Dressing Allocation for the Keighley Constituency 2018-2019. 

 

At that time it had been resolved –

 

That with the following substitution in Appendix 2 the proposed programme of works for 2018/19 as shown in Appendices 2 and 3 of Document “W” be approved.

 

·         The proposed scheme at Wesley Place, Silsden be replaced with the scheme proposed at St Johns Street Silsden and Wesley Place be moved to the reserve list.

 

The decision of the Committee was subsequently called in and considered by the Environment and Waste Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 17 April 2018.  The report of the Strategic Director, Document “F”, advised Members of the discussions which had taken place at the meeting and that the Committee had resolved to refer the matter back to Keighley Area Committee with a request that the original decision be considered in light of the comments made at the meeting on 17 April 2018.

 

A Member questioned the rationale for substituting the schemes at the meeting on 5 April 2018 and the Strategic Director, Place, advised that a Member of the Committee, at that time, had felt that the scheme on the reserve list was in a worse condition than the road on the priority list. 

 

A Member representing the Craven Ward disagreed with that view and, in her opinion and with her local knowledge, maintained that Wesley Place was in a much worse state of repair than the scheme which had been moved to the priority list.  She explained that Wesley Place was also used more frequently due to churches being located in that area and communal events being held.

 

Following consideration of the comments made by the Environment and Waste Management Overview and Scrutiny Committee and the local knowledge of the Craven Ward Member it was agreed that the recommendations of the Strategic Director, contained in Document “F” be approved.

 

Resolved –

 

That the proposed programme of works for 2018/19 as shown at Appendix 1 to Document “F” be approved.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Regeneration & Environment

ACTION: Strategic Director, Place

 

 

18.

COMMUNITY LED LOCAL DEVELOPMENT pdf icon PDF 105 KB

The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “H”) provides an update on the European funded programme called Community Led Development.

 

Recommended –

 

That the detail provided in Document “H” on the Keighley Community Led Local Development Programme and the investment that it will bring to the Keighley district be welcomed.

 

(Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Jonathan Hayes – 01535 618008)

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the Strategic Director, Place (Document “H”) provided an update on the European funded programme Community Led Local Development (CLLD).

 

It was explained that the programme’s aim was to develop employment and skills in the area.  Ideas from local organisations and residents would be utilised in the delivery of programmes aimed at people who where not currently accessing programmes to access employment and develop businesses.  

 

The Chair of the programme’s Local Action Group and a representative of Airedale Enterprise Services, the Local Action Group support team, addressed the meeting and responded to questions raised during the presentation of Document “H” as follows:-

 

·         The programme was split into two themes, one funded by the European Social Fund and the other by the European Regional Development Fund.  Bradford Council was the accountable body for the programme funding.

 

·         A commissioning process was progressing to secure organisations to delivery activities.  All activities would be registered on the Government’s YORtender Portal.  The tender process was open to all organisations for delivery but it was hoped that local organisations would bid.  All applications would be subject to an eligibility test and assessed by the office of the Keighley Area Co-ordinator and, prior to a decision being made would be assessed by the Local Action Group (LAG).  The LAG comprised of 15 members including the Keighley Area Committee Chair.

 

·         The commissioning process had to be placed on the Government portal, however, a lot of weight was given to local knowledge.  The tenders would be placed on the portal very shortly and would be open for six weeks.  Once applications were received they would be checked for eligibility and it was hoped that the tenders would be in place by October 2018.

 

·         Consultation had been undertaken with local businesses and the funding available for skill development, apprenticeships and premises had been promoted.  It was acknowledged that funding was required for business units in the area.  The programme was looking to address the fall in the number of SME’s (small, medium enterprises) in the area.   

 

·         On the foundation of CLLD an advertisement had been placed in the press inviting residents, businesses and community organisations to apply to become members of the LAG.  Membership was open to individuals and groups from the three local wards affected.  District Councillors had been invited to the launch of the programme and additional members for the LAG, particularly local residents, were still required.  The group comprised of a mixture of business people, residents and statutory and voluntary organisations.

 

 

·         The contracts would be monitored by Airedale Enterprise Services and the Council to ensure that outputs were met.

 

·         The funding must be utilised by 2022.

 

·         There were 12 planned activities and these were listed on the CLLD website.

 

·         Employment figures contained in Document “H” revealed a higher percentage of retail than national employment figures as the programmes target area included the Keighley Central Ward where traditionally more retail than other industries were located. The data presented was provided by the Department for Work  ...  view the full minutes text for item 18.

19.

SAFER ROADS DEVOLVED BUDGET pdf icon PDF 212 KB

The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “G”) provides an update on changes to the apportionment of the Safer Roads Budget (recently approved by the Executive) and seeks approval for a programme of schemes in the Keighley area for 2018/19.

 

Recommended –

 

1)    That the changes to the apportionment of the Safer Roads Budget (approved by the Executive on 12 June 2018) be noted.

 

2)    That the programme of Casualty Reduction schemes for 2018/19 listed in Appendices 1 and 2 of Document “G” be approved.

 

3)    That the proposed programme of Traffic Management schemes for 2018/19 listed in Appendix 3 of Document “G” be approved.

 

4)    That the progress of Traffic Regulation Order schemes for 2017/18 listed in Appendix 4 to Document “G” be noted.

 

5)    That the proposed programme of Traffic Regulation Order schemes for 2018/19 listed in Appendix 5 be approved.

 

6)    That any Traffic Regulation Orders, or any legal procedures linked to the processing of traffic calming measures or pedestrian crossing facilities, which are necessary to implement the chosen schemes be approved for processing and advertising subject to the scheme details being agreed with the local Ward Members.

 

7)    That any valid objections to the advertised Traffic Regulation Orders, traffic calming or pedestrian facilities be submitted to this Committee for consideration or in the event of there being no valid objections the Traffic Regulation Orders be sealed and implemented and the traffic calming or pedestrian facilities be implemented as advertised.

 

(Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Simon D’Vali - -1274 431000)

 

 

 

Minutes:

The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “G”) provided an update on changes to the apportionment of the Safer Roads Budget (recently approved by the Executive) and sought approval for a programme of schemes in the Keighley area for 2018/19.

 

Document “G” reminded Members of the West Yorkshire Transport Strategy 2040 approved in August 2017. In conjunction with the Strategic Economic Plan, the overarching aim of the strategy was  “…for Leeds City Region to be a globally recognised economy where good growth delivers high levels of prosperity, jobs and quality of life for everyone.

In term of Safer Roads themes, the strategy included a specific aim to reduce road accidents, aspiring to ‘zero tolerance’ of transport-related deaths. There were also aspirations to encourage walking and cycling by improving safety.

 

Historically there were specific budgets for the promotion of Casualty Reduction schemes and more general Traffic Management Measures. Following a significant reduction in the level of funding, that funding was combined into a single funding stream. Executive devolved the budget to the Area Committees on the basis of population split in October 2012, with a provision that 70% of the budget had to be allocated to Casualty Reduction schemes, the residual funding being available for projects prioritised by members.

 

Members were reminded of revisions to the Safer Roads budget allocation and scheme governance systems approved by Executive on 12 June 2018 which:-

 

·         Established a top-slice of the Safer Roads budget to enable the promotion of strategic or district-wide projects, with the approval to promote such projects and consideration of any resulting objections being an Executive Member function.

 

·         Maintained the existing allocation for project development

 

·         Allowed residual funding to be distributed to the Area Committees for them to continue promoting Casualty Reduction schemes as a priority. Each Area Committee would retain an indicative sum of £50,000 (per area) for general traffic management measures, with that figure being flexible when all viable Casualty Reduction projects had been prioritised.

 

It was questioned whether the intention to use ‘top sliced’ funding for 20mph zones was limited to school areas and it was explained that it depended on the schools location.  Schemes could be considered for term time or school drop off/collection times only.

 

Members provided a number of views on those proposals including that 20mph zones could increase accidents with motorists overtaking and that a blanket 20mph restriction would prevent traffic being diverted away from school areas.  

 

The rationale for the Keighley Traffic Management schemes recommended for approval (appendix 3 to Document “G”) was provided and included a police recommendation for speed reductions at Bolton Road, Addingham, due to the number of severe incidents; a number of incidents of speeding and injuries occurring in the Normington Street location and issues due to the narrowness of the street around St Andrews School. 

 

A Member questioned why a Traffic Regulation Order for “No Waiting At Any Time”, requested by residents, had been abandoned on Laycock Lane.  It was explained that the decision  ...  view the full minutes text for item 19.

20.

COMMUNITY ACTION BRADFORD AND DISTRICT (CABAD) pdf icon PDF 87 KB

The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “I”) provides a summary of the work of Community Action Bradford and District (CABAD) in supporting communities and voluntary organisations in the Keighley area.

 

Recommended –

 

That the wide range of activities undertaken by Community Action Bradford and District to support communities and voluntary organisations in the Keighley area be noted.

 

(Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Paul Stephens – 01535 665258)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “I”) provided a summary of the work of Community Action Bradford and District (CABAD) in supporting communities and voluntary organisations in the Keighley area.

 

The report revealed that Community Action Bradford and District was formed in 2017 as the merger of Bradford Community and Voluntary Services, Keighley and Ilkley Voluntary and Community Association and Shipley and Bingley Voluntary Services, to support and develop the voluntary and community sector.  Prior to the merger those individual organisations had a long history and CABAD had retained their values rooted in their experience of the sector and local communities. Those values included listening to local communities in order to empower them.

 

Appended to Document “I” were  a summary of activities undertaken by CABAD across the Bradford District during 2017-18 and a summary of the work undertaken by CABAD during 2017/18 to support communities and voluntary organisations in the Keighley Area.

 

Members questioned the challenges faced and it was explained that although there would always be groups which did not come to fruition the success of the community asset transfer process and the resilience of communities had been amazing.   It was confirmed that the Council did fund the infrastructure to employ voluntary organisation support officers.

 

Examples of work undertaken with the Friends of Silsden Town Hall, Holden Hall, Oakworth and Ilkley Manor House were provided as an indication of the work undertaken to assist the Community Asset Transfer process.

 

Support provided to Oxenhope Youth Club was also reported which had helped to create an appropriate constitution; develop bids for funding and enabled the group to become sustainable.

 

In response to questions it was confirmed that CABAD supported all age ranges.  It was questioned why more organisations were supported in the Keighley Central ward and it was explained that a lot of groups worked across the town centre which was located in that ward.

 

The formal input into the work of Healthwatch, detailed in Appendix A to Document “I” was questioned and it was explained that the group worked with patients to gather stories about experiences of the health service and reported to the Clinical Commissioning Groups.  There was a formal structure to that organisation which could be relayed to Members if required.

 

It was requested that progress reports contain more detail of work undertaken within individual  wards in Keighley in the future.

 

Resolved –

 

That the wide range of activities undertaken by Community Action Bradford and District to support communities and voluntary organisations in the Keighley area be noted.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Corporate

ACTION: Strategic Director, Place

 

21.

UPDATE ON FAMILY HUBS PREVENTION AND EARLY HELP IMPLEMENTATION pdf icon PDF 2 MB

On 3rd April 2018 the Council’s Executive Committee agreed to implement the Family Hubs model for delivering prevention and early help to babies, children and young people from October 2018.

 

The Director of Children’s Services will present a report, (Document “J”) which provides an update on implementation since April 2018 with a specific focus on area based planning and issues.

 

Members are asked to note the report and progress to date and to provide support and guidance on the on-going co-production of the Family Hubs offer.

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Council’s Executive Committee had agreed, at its meeting on 3 April 2018, to implement the Family Hubs model for delivering prevention and early help to babies, children and young people from October 2018.

 

The Director of Children’s Services presented a report, (Document “J”) which provided an update on implementation since April 2018 with a specific focus on area based planning and issues.

 

Members were asked to note the report and progress to date and to provide support and guidance on the on-going co-production of the Family Hubs offer.

 

A Member questioned the impact of the use of community interest companies on Ilkley Youth Centre and Children’s Centre.  It was explained that a review of all buildings and assets was being conducted.  There were no plans to close buildings at the current time, however, co-location would be undertaken where possible. As part of the model of co-production there would still be a resource in the Ilkley area which would spread according to need and utilisation of assets.  Although there were no guarantees about which location would be used a senior manager would be appointed to run that locality.  Healthy eating initiatives would continue and would operate according to space, locality and proximity to communities.

 

In response to questions it was explained that hubs would be used as small centres of management with other work conducted in the field.  It was predicted the hubs would include a senior manager, seven key workers in each area, seven family key workers and seen prevention workers and those personnel would probably utilise more than one building.  The use of local schools and community buildings was encouraged.

 

A view that the hubs should link the Youth Service; Education, Social Services and the Youth Offending Teams was expressed.  It was explained that the Youth Service was not in scope for any reductions currently.  It was anticipated that the seven hub leads would work with their Youth Service counterparts but the two series would not be brought together.

 

Resolved –

 

That the progress to date on the on-going co-production of the  Family Hubs offer, contained in Document “J” be noted and it be acknowledged that Members would continue to provide support to, and guidance on,  the implementation of the Family Hubs model.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Children’s Services

ACTION: Director, Children’s Services