Agenda, decisions and minutes

Keighley Area Committee
Thursday, 21st June, 2018 6.00 pm, MOVED

Venue: Council Chamber - Keighley Town Hall. View directions

Contact: Jane Lythgow 

Note: N.B. This meeting was adjourned on 21 June 2018 and will be reconvened at 18.00 on 19 July 2018. 

Items
No. Item

1.

APPOINTMENT OF CHAIR (Standing Order 35)

To appoint a Chair for the Municipal Year 2018/2019.

Minutes:

Resolved –

 

That Councillor Brown be appointed Chair of the Keighley Area Committee until 19 December 2018 and that Councillor Abid Hussain be appointed Chair of the Keighley Area Committee from 20 December 2018 for the remainder of the municipal year.

 

Action: Interim City Solicitor

2.

APPOINTMENT OF DEPUTY CHAIR (Standing Order 35)

To appoint a Deputy Chair for the Municipal Year 2018/2019.

 

Minutes:

Resolved –

 

That Councillor Abid Hussain be appointed Deputy Chair of the Keighley Area Committee until 19 December 2018 and that Councillor Brown be appointed Deputy Chair of the Keighley Area Committee from 20 December 2018 for the remainder of the municipal year.

 

Action: Interim City Solicitor

3.

CHAIR'S ANNOUNCEMENT - GRANT ADVISORY GROUP

Minutes:

Resolved –

 

That the third Member of the Grant Advisory Group (GAG), which comprises of the Chair and Deputy Chair of the Keighley Area Committee, be appointed from the same political group as the Chair of the Keighley Area Committee at the time of the GAG meeting.

 

Action: Keighley Area Co-ordinator

4.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)

 

To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.

 

An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.

 

Notes:

 

(1)       Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct.  Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.

 

(2)       Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them.  A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. 

 

(3)       Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.

 

(4)       Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.

 

Minutes:

Councillor Brown disclosed an interest in Minute 13 as a resident of Dockroyd Lane and he abstained from voting on that item.  

5.

MINUTES

Recommended –

 

That the minutes of the meetings held on 1 March and 5 April 2018 be signed as a correct record (previously circulated).

 

(Jane Lythgow – 01274 432270)

Minutes:

Resolved –

 

That the minutes of the meetings held on 1 March and 5 April 2018 be signed as a correct record.

 

ACTION: Interim City Solicitor

 

 

6.

INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item.  Certain reports and background papers may be restricted. 

 

Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report. 

 

If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting. 

 

Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal. 

 

(Jane Lythgow - 01274 432270)

 

Minutes:

There were no appeals submitted by the public to review decisions to restrict documents.

 

7.

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

To hear questions from electors within the District on any matter this is the responsibility of the Committee. 

 

Questions must be received in writing by the City Solicitor in Room 112, City Hall, Bradford, BD1 1HY, by mid-day on Tuesday 19 June 2018.

 

(Jane Lythgow - 01274 432270)

 

Minutes:

There were no questions submitted by the public.

 

8.

COMMUNITY CHEST ALLOCATIONS 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 106 KB

The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “D”) informs Members of the Community Chest Awards made to projects within the Keighley area in the financial year 2017/18.

 

Recommended –

 

That the Keighley Area Co-ordinator’s Office continues to ensure the effective allocation of Community Chest funding by providing appropriate support and advice to applicants.

 

(Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Jonathan Hayes – 01535 618008)

 

Minutes:

The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “D”) informed Members of the Community Chest Awards made to projects within the Keighley area in the financial year 2017/18. Appended to Document “D” was the criteria for applications and a summary of grants awarded in 2017/18.

 

The report explained that the Area Co-ordinator, under delegated powers, was responsible for making decisions on received applications.  Those decisions were made following guidance received from the Grants Advisory Group (GAG) whose membership was the Chair and Deputy Chair with the third Member being selected from the same political group as the Chair at that time.  This had been decided whilst electing the Chair and Deputy Chair for the municipal year and reflected that the Chair’s role was being shared on a six month basis.

 

Resolved –

 

1.    That the Keighley Area Co-ordinator’s Office continues to ensure the effective allocation of Community Chest funding by providing appropriate support and advice to applicants.

 

2.    That the third Member of the Grants Advisory Group be selected from the same political party as the Chair of the Committee at the time of its meetings.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Corporate

ACTION: Strategic Director Place

 

 

 

9.

DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS - 2018/19 MUNICIPAL YEAR

Recommended –

 

That the meetings of the Keighley Area Committee for the remainder of the 2018/2019 Municipal Year be held at 1800 hours on the following dates:

 

Thursday 19 July 2018

Thursday 6 September 2018

Thursday 18 October 2018

Thursday 22 November 2018

Thursday 20 December 2018

Thursday 31 January 2019

Thursday 28 February 2019

Thursday 4 April 2019

 

(Jane Lythgow 01274 432270) 

 

Minutes:

Resolved –

 

That the meetings of the Keighley Area Committee for the remainder of the 2018/2019 Municipal Year be held at 1800 hours on the following dates:

 

Thursday 6 September 2018

Thursday 18 October 2018

Thursday 22 November 2018

Thursday 20 December 2018

Thursday 31 January 2019

Thursday 28 February 2019

Thursday 4 April 2019

 

ACTION: Interim City Solicitor

 

 

10.

ANNUAL UPDATE ON ROAD SAFETY IN THE KEIGHLEY CONSTITUENCY pdf icon PDF 502 KB

The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “C”) provides an update on current casualty levels and trends in the Keighley Constituency and on the Road Safety Education, Training and Publicity Initiatives aimed at reducing those casualties.

 

Recommended –

 

1.    That the information in respect of casualty trends and road safety activities, contained in Document “C” be noted.

 

2.    That the evidence based approach to determine road safety priorities continue to be supported.

 

(Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Sue Snoddy - 01274 437409)

 

 

Minutes:

The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “C”) provided an update on current casualty levels and trends in the Keighley Constituency and on the Road Safety Education, Training and Publicity Initiatives aimed at reducing those casualties.  Appended to Document “C” were statistics on road casualties in the Bradford district and in the Keighley area.  Road safety education training and publicity programmes were also reported together with engagement undertaken with schools in the district.

 

It was confirmed that the data reported was the most recent full year information for 2017 and this confirmed that the downward trend of accidents was continuing to be maintained.

 

Members raised a number of issues to which the following responses were provided:-

 

·         The Road Safety Education, Training and Publicity team comprised of 5.79 full time equivalent posts including the Bikeability Officer.  The team had operated, during the period covering in the report, with five full time equivalent posts as one team member had been on maternity leave.

 

·         A three staged approach was taken to address excessive speeding.  Publicity; enforcement by the police and engineering solutions to physically reduce speeds were utilised. 

 

·         Members requests to monitor traffic were used, together with the police data base, to collate traffic data.   Manual traffic counts were conducted over a 24 hour period for one week.

 

·         Injuries categorised as ‘serious’ involved people who were injured or taken to hospital.

 

·         The accidents included in Document “C” were those which had been attended by the police and related to injury to a person not vehicle damage.

 

·         Operation Steerside, an initiative to tackle dangerous driving, had been extremely successful and had undertaken 13,000 interactions in a 12 month period.  It had taken uninsured vehicles off the road and targeted illegal vehicle activity and other crimes. The initiative was having a positive effect on statistics included in the report under consideration.  The funding for the scheme had only three months remaining, however, the police were reviewing what could be done to continue beyond that time.

 

·         It was acknowledged that there was a problem on North Street, Keighley, with the levels of injuries and accidents.  A route had been installed for cyclists which bypassed the Hard Ings Road roundabout and provided an off road route. The Bespoke Group, including a number of Council officers, scrutinised strategic cycle routes in Bradford.  Councillor Taj Salam was the Council’s Cycling Champion and was a Member of that group.

 

·         In car safety and issues with young children not using seat belts were addressed in a number of ways.  Sessions had been held in schools and parents of reception age children were provided with a booklet about keeping children safe in cars.  Information was also distributed to parents of two year olds by Health Visitors.

 

·         A promotion on in car safety and the use of seat belts was planned for September 2018 and would be conducted via the radio and expert team members in the Road Safety Team.  

 

·         Pedestrian training to ensure young children held their parents hands  ...  view the full minutes text for item 10.

11.

DOCKROYD LANE, OAKWORTH - OBJECTIONS TO PROPOSED TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER (TRO) pdf icon PDF 350 KB

The Strategic Director, Place, will present a report (Document “A”) which asks Members to consider an objection to a proposed Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to introduce no waiting at any time restrictions and a ‘School Keep Clear’ marking on sections of Dockroyd Lane, Oakworth. 

 

Recommended –

 

1.    That the objections to the proposed Traffic Regulation Order, as shown in drawing no TDG/THN/103890/CON-1B attached at Appendix 1 to Document “A”, be overruled and that the Order be sealed and implemented as advertised.

 

2.    That the objector be advised accordingly.

 

(Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Simon D’Vali – 01274 432100)

 

Minutes:

The Strategic Director, Place, presented a report (Document “A”) which asked Members to consider an objection to a proposed Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to introduce no waiting at any time restrictions and a ‘School Keep Clear’ marking on sections of Dockroyd Lane, Oakworth. 

 

It was explained that the proposed restrictions were considered necessary to ensure that sections of highway were kept clear therefore reducing the risk of blocking refuse collection vehicles/large delivery vehicles and emergency services from accessing the area. During bad weather vehicles accessing Dockroyd Lane also had difficulty manoeuvring if vehicles were parked opposite due to the road width and the inclines involved

 

The proposed TRO would also protect the rear entrance to the school from inconsiderate parking at opening/closing time and providing a safer environment for school children.

 

A Member questioned if restrictions could be placed in the area during refuse collection times only but it was explained that such restrictions would be impossible to enforce and would not assist the issues faced by large delivery vehicles; emergency services and would not protect the entrance to the school from inconsiderate parking.

 

Resolved –

 

1.    That the objections to the proposed Traffic Regulation Order, as shown in drawing no TDG/THN/103890/CON-1B attached at Appendix 1 to Document “A”, be overruled and that the Order be sealed and implemented as advertised.

 

2.    That the objector be advised accordingly.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Regeneration & Environment

ACTION: Strategic Director Place

 

 

 

12.

MILL LANE, STATION ROAD, CROSS LANE AND MOORHOUSE LANE, OXENHOPE - PROPOSED TRAFFIC REGULATION (TRO) pdf icon PDF 284 KB

The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “B”) asks Members to consider two objections to the proposed Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to introduce no waiting at any time restrictions on sections of Mill Lane, Station Road, Cross Lane and Moorhouse Lane, Oxenhope.

 

Recommended –

 

1.    That the objections to the proposed Traffic Regulation Order, as shown in drawing number TDG/THN/102693/CON-2A contained in Appendix 1 to Document “B”, be overruled and that the Traffic Regulation Order be sealed and implemented as advertised.

 

2.    That the objectors be advised accordingly.

 

(Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee)

(Simon D’Vali – 01274 432100)

 

 

Minutes:

The report of the Strategic Director, Place, (Document “B”) asked Members to consider two objections to the proposed Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to introduce no waiting at any time restrictions on sections of Mill Lane, Station Road, Cross Lane and Moorhouse Lane, Oxenhope.

 

Members discussed a request received from the Chair of Oxenhope Parish Council that the restrictions be reduced on the western side of Station Road and it was agreed to accede to that request.

 

Resolved –

 

1.    That the objections to the proposed Traffic Regulation Order, as shown in drawing number TDG/THN/102693/CON-2A contained in Appendix 1 to Document “B”, be overruled and that, with amendments to reduce the ‘no waiting at any time’ restrictions by five metres on the western side of Station Road, Oxenhope, at the request of Oxenhope Parish Council,  the Traffic Regulation Order be sealed and implemented as advertised.

 

2.    That the objectors be advised accordingly.

 

OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: Regeneration & Environment

ACTION: Strategic Director Place