Contact: Adrian Tumber
(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)
To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.
An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.
(1) In relation to Agenda Item 7A to
approve the following recommendations contained in the report of
the Monitoring Officer (Document
“D”) to grant a dispensation to all Members who have certain
Disclosable Pecuniary Interests listed
in Appendix A to the report, as defined in the Relevant Authorities
(Disclosable Pecuniary Interests)
Regulations 2012, in the decision to approve the budget and to set
the level of Council Tax and Business Rates for 2021/22 and 2022/23
during the Budget Council meetings on 18 February 2021 and 17
(1) Grants a dispensation to the Members of the Authority who have requested one, to enable them to participate in full in the decision to approve the budgets for 2021/22 and 2022/23 and to set the Council Tax and Business Rates for 2021/22 and 2022/23.
(2) Approves the dispensation for a period of two years until 18 February 2022.
(3) Notes Members’ personal interests and the Monitoring Officer’s advice that personal interests that may give rise to a perception of a conflict of interest shall not prevent Members from speaking and voting at the Budget meetings.
(2) Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct. Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.
(3) Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them. A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992.
(4) Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.
(5) Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.
That the minutes of the meeting held on 8 December 2020 be signed as a correct record (previously circulated).
(Adrian Tumber – 01274 432435)
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
WRITTEN ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM THE LORD MAYOR (Standing Order 4)
(To be circulated before the meeting).
INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS
(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)
Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item. Certain reports and background papers may be restricted.
Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report.
If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting.
Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal.
(Adrian Tumber - 01274 432435)
MEMBERSHIP OF COMMITTEES AND JOINT COMMITTEES (Standing Order 4)
To consider any motions (i) to appoint members to a Committee or a Joint Committee; or (ii) to appoint Chairs or Deputy Chairs of Committees (excluding Area Committees).
(1) That Councillor Kamran Hussain replace Councillor Watson on the Regulatory and Appeals Committee.
(2) That Councillor Salam be appointed to the YPO and Councillor Lal be the alternate.
ACTION: City Solicitor
RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE EXECUTIVE AND COMMITTEES (Standing Order 15)
The Executive at its meeting on 16 February 2021 will make recommendations to Council on the Budget for 2021/22.
(i) The Council’s Revenue Estimates for 2021/22
(ii) The Council’s Capital Investment Plan for 2021/22 to 2024/25
(iii) Allocation of the Schools’ Budget 2021/22 Financial Year
(iv) 2021/22 Budget Proposals and Forecast Reserves – Section 151 Officer Assessment
(v) Budget Update 2021/22
The report of the Director of Finance (Executive Document “DE”) presented to the Executive on 2 February 2021 provides an update on national announcements and local decisions. It also identifies issues and uncertainties which could still have a bearing on the final size of the budget for 2021/22 and future financial years.
In accordance with Section 149 of the Equality Act 2010, Council needs to have regard to the information contained in Appendix B to Executive Document “DE” and the Annex to Appendix B together with the equality assessments when considering the Executive’s recommendations on the budget proposals for 2021/22.
COUNCIL BUDGET 2021/22
(1) 1.1 REVENUE ESTIMATES 2021/22
(a) That the Base Revenue Forecast of £385,373m for 2021/22 be approved as set out in the updated Council’s Revenue Estimates for 2021/22
(b) That the recurring pressures and investment proposals of £13.611m in 2021/22 as set out in Appendix B to Council Document “F” beapproved.
(c) That the additional service savings and additional income of £0.745m in 2021/22 as set out in Appendix C to Council Document “F” beapproved.
(d) That the prior agreed savings be noted and the amendment to previous budget decisions totalling £1.608mm in 2021/22 as set out in Appendix E to Council Document “F” be approved.
(e) That it be noted that within the revenue budget there is a net use of £6.395m in revenue reserves in 2021/22 as set out in Appendix F to Council Document “F”.
(f) That the service savings proposals for 2021/22 be approved, requiring the Chief Executive, Strategic Directors and Directors to take necessary action during 2020/21 to ensure those savings are fully achievable for 2021/22.
(g) That the comments of Director of Finance set out in Section 151 Officer’s Assessment of the proposed budgets on the robustness of the estimates and the adequacy of reserves taking account of the recommendations made at 1.1 (a) to (f) above be noted.
1.2 PROPOSED COUNCIL TAX2021/22
That it be noted that the projected council tax base and expenditure forecasts outlined in this report together with the 2021/22 resources and the budget variations approvedin 1.1 producea proposedBand Dcouncil taxof £1,499.11 for 2021/22.
1.3 PAYMENT DATES FOR COUNCIL TAX AND NATIONALNON-DOMESTIC RATES
That the first instalment date for payment of National Non-Domestic Rates and Council Tax shall be specified by the s151Officer.
1.4 DELEGATION TOOFFICERS
That for the avoidance of doubt and without prejudice to any of the powers contained in Article 14 of Part 2 of the Council's Constitution on the Function of Officers, the s151 Officer shall have full delegated powers to act on behalf of the Council on all matters relating to the Council Tax, Non-Domestic Rates and Accounts Receivable Debtors including (without prejudice to the generality of the delegation) entry into any business rate pilot, assessments, determinations, recovery, enforcement and, in accordance with the statutory scheme, full delegated powers to act on behalf of the Council with regard to all aspects of the granting of Discretionary and Hardship Rate Relief to qualifyingratepayers.
1.5 PREPARATION OFACCOUNTS
(a) That in preparing the Final Accounts for 2020/21, the s151 Officer be empowered to take appropriate steps to secure the best advantage for the Council's financialposition.
(b) That the s151 Officer be empowered to deal with items which involve the transfer of net spending between the financial years 2020/21 and 2021/22 in a manner which secures the best advantage for the Council's financial position.
(c) That the s151 Officer report any action taken in pursuance of 1.5 ... view the full decision text for item 71.
In accordance with the Localism Act 2011 Local Authorities are required to produce and publish a Pay Policy Statement for each financial year. The report of the Director of Human Resources (Document “E”) contains the Pay Policy Statement which must be approved by full Council before publication.
That the Pay Policy Statement for the financial year 2020/21 as set out at Appendix 1 to Document “E” and the Pay Policy Statement for the financial year 2021/22 as set out at Appendix 2 to Document “E”, be approved.
(Tim Barker – 01274 432031)
This item was withdrawn from the agenda and will be presented to the meeting of Council on 16 March 2021 instead. This is because after the report was published the Government announced it was changing the regulations and the legal advice is that the Pay Policy needs updating.