Venue: Committee Room 1 - City Hall, Bradford. View directions
ALTERNATE MEMBERS (Standing Order 34)
The City Solicitor will report the names of alternate Members who are attending the meeting in place of appointed Members.
DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST
(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)
To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.
An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.
(1) Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct. Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.
(2) Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them. A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992.
(3) Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.
(4) Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.
That the minutes of the meeting held on 15 November and 13 December 2018 be signed as a correct record (previously circulated).
(Yusuf Patel - 01274 434579)
INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS
(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)
Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item. Certain reports and background papers may be restricted.
Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report.
If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting.
Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal.
(Yusuf Patel - 01274 434579)
REFERRALS TO THE OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE
No referrals were made at the time of the publication of this agenda.
(Yusuf Patel – 01274 434579)
The Strategic Directors Health and Wellbeing and Corporate Resources will submit a joint report (Document “AA”) which updates the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee on work across the Bradford district in relation to ‘Period and Hygiene’ Poverty.
It is recommended -
(1) That options 9.2 and 9.3 set out in Document “AA” are adopted by this committee.
(2) That officers are asked to work closely with current providers across the district to better understand the impacts of period and/or hygiene poverty and that a further report be prepared for this committee in 12 months time.
(Sarah Possingham – 01274 431319 / Paul Bland - 01274 43 7874)
(1) That this Committee welcomes the report and thanks officers and organisations for the work being undertaken to date to tackle period and hygiene poverty.
(2) That a report be presented in 12 months time which specifically focuses on:
(i) The causes of period and hygiene poverty;
(ii) Actions being taken to address period and hygiene poverty;
(iii) Identifying best practice and how this can be applied across the Bradford district;
(iv) The approaches being used with homeless people in tackling period and hygiene poverty.
(3) That this Committee requests that officers liaise with appropriate organisations to address period and hygiene poverty across the district.
ACTION: Strategic Director Health and Wellbeing
(Sarah Possingham – 01274 431319)
The Director of Finance will submit a report (Document “AB”) which provides Members with an overview of the forecast financial position of the Council for 2018-19.
It examines the latest spend against revenue and capital budgets and forecasts the financial position at the year end. It states the Council’s current balances and reserves and forecasts school balances for the year.
That the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee review and comment on the Qtr 3 Finance Position Statement for 2018-19.
(Andrew Cross - 01274 436823)
(1) That this Committee requests that a report be presented to this Committee which sets out the reasons for the £0.6m overspend in Sports and Leisure.
(2) That this Committee also requests that a report be presented which demonstrates how Council departments are addressing overspends in their service areas and to what extent are the approaches being used robust enough to the address the overspends.
(3) That the information requested by Members in relation to vacancies be provided.
(4) That this Committee requests an update on Going for Growth.
ACTION: Director of Finance
(Andrew Cross – 01274 436823)
From 20 June 2018, working-age households, with up to two children, across the Bradford District became eligible to claim Universal Credit.
The Strategic Director Corporate Resources will submit a report
(Document “AC”) which examines the progress of, and future plans for, the roll out of Universal Credit, its impact, and the arrangements in place to support claimants.
That Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee;
(1) Note progress made in the development of arrangements to support residents, and in responding to adverse impacts on Council service delivery.
(2) Consider the issues raised in this report, the likely impacts on the district’s residents, the Council, and other providers and agencies and provide any comments and views for consideration by the local delivery partnership.
(Martin Stubbs - 01274 432056)
(1) That this Committee welcomes the report and requests a further report which focuses on the impact of Universal Credit on the most vulnerable residents of the district and also include the impact on Housing and Homelessness Service.
(2) That this Committee requests that Bradford Council officers contact the Department for Works and Pensions, both locally and nationally to consider ways of mitigating sanctions for people who do not have access to Information Technology.
ACTION: Strategic Director Corporate Services
(Martin Stubbs – 01274 432056)
The Corporate Resources Director will submit a report (Document “AD”) which advises members on progress to date in preparing for the impact of Brexit, including a no deal Brexit, and the actions proposed to deal with identified issues.
It must be stressed that the current situation is highly uncertain and liable to change. At the time of writing, a range of options remain open, including a no deal Brexit. The Prime Minister will be negotiating with EU partners and due to return to Parliament on the 14th February for a vote on a final deal.
That the Committee note the report and offer their views on the issues and actions identified.
(Phil Witcherley - 01274 431241)
(1) That this Committee requests a report to be presented which specifically focuses on the community cohesion issues across the district related to Brexit.
(2) That a verbal update on Brexit be presented at the 21 March meeting of the Committee.
(3) That it be recommended to the Executive that the status of Looked After Children be adopted by the Council.
ACTION: Strategic Director Corporate Resources
(Philip Witcherley – 01274 431241)
The Chair of the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee will submit a report (Document “AE”) which sets out the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee work programme for 2018/19.
(1) That members consider and comment on the areas of work included in the work programme.
(2) That members consider any detailed scrutiny reviews that they may wish to conduct.
(Mustansir Butt - 01274 432574)