Venue: Virtual Remote meeting
Contact: Fatima Butt / Jill Bell
ALTERNATE MEMBERS (Standing Order 34)
The City Solicitor will report the names of alternate Members who are attending the meeting in place of appointed Members.
DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST
(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)
To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.
An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.
(1) Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct. Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.
(2) Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them. A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992.
(3) Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.
(4) Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.
That the minutes of the meeting held on 4 November 2020 be signed as a correct record (previously circulated).
(Jill Bell – 01274 4580)
INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS
(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)
Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item. Certain reports and background papers may be restricted.
Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report.
If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting.
Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal.
(Jill Bell - 01274 434580)
REFERRALS TO THE OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE
No referrals have been made to this Committee up to and including the date of publication of this agenda.
Children's Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee requested regular updates on the Vital Signs report. Appended to the report of the Strategic Director of Children’s Services (Document “AR”)is the Vital Signs report for December 2020.
Members are asked to consider this report and to also comment on the frequency and format as to how this report should be considered by the Committee in future.
(Irfan Alam – 01274 434333)
(1) That the Committee focuses on specific aspects of the Children’s Services Improvement Plan including but not limited to:
- Audit of quality of social work practice;
- Workforce Plans;
- Service areas that are in red and require significant improvement.
(2) That the Vital Signs report be considered in detail every three month, however this Committee requests that the Vital Report Signs be electronically circulated to members of the Committee every month.
(3) This Committee requests that the outcome from the OFSTED assurance visit be presented to this Committee, as soon as they are available.
Action: Director of Children’s Services
(Mark Douglas – 01274 431266)
The report of the Strategic Director of Children’s Services (Document “AS”)provides an update on the work that forms part of the Education Covid Recovery Improvement Programme. It updates the status of work to date along with the approach to be taken for further development.
As the work in progress for this programme is based on an academic year, significant progress and performance against outcomes cannot be provided on a monthly basis. The committee is asked to recommend what they would like to see from this report moving forwards
(Marium Haque – 01274 431078)
That the Committee keeps an overview of the Council’s plans for remote learning taking place across the District and requests that officers present new information when it is available to the Committee.
Action: Director Childrens Services
(Marium Haque – 01274 431078)
The report of the chair of the Children’s Services Overview & Scrutiny Committee (Document “AT”) includes the Children’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee work programme for 2020/21.
(1) That members consider and comment on the areas of work included in the work programme.
(2) That members consider any detailed scrutiny reviews that they may wish to conduct.
(Mustansir Butt - 01274 432574)
That the following areas be considered by the Committee at its future meetings, with a specific focus of the impact of COVID19 upon these:
- Troubled Families;
- Youth Offending;
- Mental Health amongst young people
Action: Overview & Scrutiny Lead
(Mustansir Butt – 01274 432574)