Agenda and decisions

Bradford South Area Committee
Thursday, 29th November, 2018 5.00 pm

Venue: Committee Room 1 - City Hall, Bradford. View directions

Contact: Yusuf Patel 

Items
No. Item

1.

ALTERNATE MEMBERS (Standing Order 34)

The City Solicitor will report the names of alternate Members who are attending the meeting in place of appointed Members. 

 

2.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)

 

To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.

 

An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.

 

Notes:

 

(1)       Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct.  Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.

 

(2)       Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them.  A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. 

 

(3)       Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.

 

(4)       Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.

3.

MINUTES

Recommended –

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 27 September 2018 be signed as a correct record (previously circulated).

 

(Yusuf Patel – 01274 434579)

4.

INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item.  Certain reports and background papers may be restricted. 

 

Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report. 

 

If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting. 

 

Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal. 

 

(Yusuf Patel - 01274 434579)

 

5.

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

To hear questions from electors within the District on any matter this is the responsibility of the Committee. 

 

Questions must be received in writing by the City Solicitor in Room 112, City Hall, Bradford, BD1 1HY, by mid-day on Tuesday 27 November 2018.

 

(Yusuf Patel - 01274 434579)

 

6.

LOCAL HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE - DEVOLUTION UPDATE & FUNCTION OVERVIEW pdf icon PDF 140 KB

The Strategic Director Place will submit a report (Document “K) which  details how the service currently manages the Local Highway Maintenance (LHM) function and allocates resources.

 

It also updates the committee with regard to current operations being undertaken on the network and the indicative costs of works undertaken in the current financial year.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)       That the Bradford South Area Committee notes the current operational methods adopted for Local Highway Maintenance.

(2)       That the Bradford South Area Committee notes the indicative costs to date for the current financial year.

(3)       That the Bradford South Area Committee approves the list of current and proposed CAT3/4 works as shown in Appendices 5 and 6 to Document “K”

Overview and Scrutiny Committee: Regeneration and Environment

 

(Andrew Whelan - 01274 434409)

Decision:

Resolved–

 

(1)       That the current operational methods adopted for Local Highway Maintenance be noted.

(2)       That the indicative costs to date for the current financial year be noted.

(3)       That the list of current and proposed CAT3/4 works as shown in Appendices 5 and 6 to Document “K” be approved.

ACTION:       Strategic Director Place

Overview and Scrutiny Committee: Regeneration and Environment

 

(Andrew Whelan - 01274 434409)

 

7.

CLECKHEATON ROAD, WYKE OBJECTIONS RECEIVED TO PROPOSED TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT MEASURES pdf icon PDF 651 KB

The Strategic Director Place will submit a report (Document “L”) which sets out two objections received to the recently advertised Traffic Regulation Order to introduce waiting restrictions, resident permit parkings and the introduction of a  puffin crossing in association with the development of the Sedbergh Sports and Leisure Centre on Cleckheaton Road.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)       That the objections be overruled and the proposed traffic            measures as shown on Plan no.HS/TRSS/103581/CON-2A –  attached as Appendix 1 to Document “L”, be implemented as             advertised.

 

(2)       That the objectors be informed accordingly.

 

Overview and Scrutiny Committee:          Regeneration and Environment

 

(Andrew Smith - 01274 434674)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

(1)       That the objections be overruled and the proposed traffic            measures as shown on Plan no.HS/TRSS/103581/CON-2A –  attached as Appendix 1 to Document “L”, be implemented as             advertised.

 

(2)       That the objectors be informed accordingly.

 

ACTION: Strategic Director Place

 

Overview and Scrutiny Committee: Regeneration and Environment

 

(Andrew Smith - 01274 434674)

8.

MEADWAY, WOODSIDE - PETITION pdf icon PDF 2 MB

The Strategic Director Place will submit a report (Document “M”) which sets  out a petition requesting that traffic calming measures be introduced on Meadway, Woodside Estate to reduce vehicle speeds and the volume of Heavy Goods Vehicles.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)       That no further action be taken on the request for traffic calming           measures on Meadway.

 

(2)       That an item in respect of HGV alternative route signing for roads         on the periphery of Meadway be added to the Minor Signing        revenue budget list.

 

(3)       That the petitioner be informed accordingly.

 

Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Regeneration and Environment

Andrew Smith

Principal Engineer

Phone: (01274) 434674

(Andrew Smith - 01274 434674)

 

Decision:

Resolved –

 

(1)       That this Committee noted that an item for a point closure on     Meadway is already on the list of sites awaiting funding for traffic             management measures, however as when a scheme is prioritised             by the Bradford South Area Committee that Members comments           regarding speed, volumes of traffic, HGV use and undertaking of a   more comprehensive traffic survey be taken into account.

 

(2)       That an item in respect of HGV alternative route signing for         roads on the periphery of Meadway be added to the Minor            Signing revenue budget list.

 

(3)       That the petitioner be informed accordingly.

 

ACTION: Strategic Director Place

Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Regeneration and Environment

 (Andrew Smith - 01274 434674)

9.

CLAYTON ROAD/HOLLINGWOOD LANE - TRO OBJECTIONS pdf icon PDF 1 MB

The Strategic Director Place will submit a report (Document “N”) which sets out representations received in respect of the recently advertised proposals for a Traffic Regulation Order on Clayton Road and Hollingwood Lane.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)       That a minor amendment is made to schedule 2 of the Order to allow eligibility for permits for  those properties highlighted in       ‘comments nos. 1 & 2’ of paragraph 2.3 to Document “N” and the          Order be sealed and implemented as otherwise advertised

 

(2)       That the objection is overruled and the Traffic Regulation Order            be modified as detailed in paragraph 10.1, sealed and            implemented.

 

(3)       That all those making representations be informed accordingly.

 

Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Regeneration and Environment

 

(Andrew Smith – 01274 434674)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

That consideration of this matter be deferred to the January meeting of the Area Committee.

 

ACTION: Strategic Director Place

 

Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Regeneration and Environment

 

(Andrew Smith – 01274 434674)

10.

PARKS & GREEN SPACES SERVICE ANNUAL REPORT pdf icon PDF 94 KB

The Strategic Director Place will submit a report (Document “O”) which sets out the annual report for the devolved Parks & Green Spaces Service reviews activity during the past year, and also considers the significant issues and proposed management structural changes that will have an effect over the coming 12 months with options where available for future service delivery, investment and savings.

 

Recommended –

 

That the South Area Committee note the content of this report and welcome the planned merger of the Cleansing Service.

 

Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Regeneration & Environment

 

(Ian Wood – 01274 432648)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

That the content of this report be noted and that the planned merger of the Cleansing Service be welcomed.

 

ACTION: No Action

 

Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Regeneration & Environment

 

(Ian Wood – 01274 432648)

 

11.

BIG LOCAL - SCHOLEMOOR AND LIDGET GREEN pdf icon PDF 240 KB

The Strategic Director Place will submit a report (Document “P”) which informs Bradford South Area Committee on progress to develop the GreenMoor Big Local Programme.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)       That Bradford South Area Committee welcomes the report and thanks all those involved in the Greenmoor Big Local project on    the progress made.

 

(2)       That a further report is presented to the Area Committee in 12    months time.

 

Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Corporate

 

(Mick Charlton - 01274 431155)

Decision:

Resolved–

 

That consideration of this matter be deferred to the January meeting of the Area Committee.

 

ACTION: Strategic Director Place

 

Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Corporate

 

(Mick Charlton - 01274 431155)

 

12.

ANNUAL REPORT ON STREET CLEANSING, ENVIRONMENTAL ENFORCEMENT AND COUNCIL WARDENS AND INFORMATION ABOUT THE MERGER OF THE PARKS SERVICE INTO NEIGHBOURHOOD AND CUSTOMER SERVICES. pdf icon PDF 453 KB

The Bradford South Area Coordinator will submit a report (Document “Q”) which updates Members on future changes to Street Cleansing, Parks, Environmental Enforcement and Warden Services, providing an update on performance and information on current and planned initiatives.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)       Bradford South Area Committee notes and welcomes the            information set out in Document “Q”.

 

(2)       That a further report is presented in 2019 outlining a new             operational model based on constituency working.

 

Overview and Scrutiny Committee:  Corporate/Regeneration and Environment

 

(Damian Fisher,  Louise Williams - 01274 437146 / 01274 431066)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

(1)       That the information set out in Document “Q” be noted and        welcomed.

 

(2)       That a further report is presented in 2019 outlining a new             operational model based on constituency working.

 

ACTION: Bradford South Area Coordinator

 

Overview and Scrutiny Committee:  Corporate/Regeneration and Environment

 

(Damian Fisher,  Louise Williams - 01274 437146 / 01274 431066)

 

13.

THE ALLOCATION OF THE COMMUNITY BUILDING GRANTS (EXTENDED COMMUNITY CENTRE CORE COSTS). pdf icon PDF 481 KB

The Strategic Director Place will submit a report (Document “R”) which sets out the Community Building Grants allocation process.  Community Building Grants are for Voluntary and Community Sector organisations to support them in meeting their associated building related costs.

 

Recommended –

 

(1)       Bradford South Area Committee notes the proposed allocation process for Community Building Grants.  

 

(2)       Bradford South Area Coordinator is requested to organise          meetings of the Area Committee’s Grant Advisory Group to             consider Community Building Grant applications for funding from            groups within the Bradford South Area. 

 

(3)       Bradford South Area Coordinator will bring a further report to a             meeting within the 2018-19 municipal year, with recommendations       from the Grant Advisory Group on how to allocate the Community   Building Grants funds available. 

 

Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Corporate

 

(Mahmood Mohammed - 01274 437467)

Decision:

Resolved –

 

(1)       That the proposed allocation process for Community Building   Grants be noted.  

 

(2)       That the Bradford South Area Coordinator is requested to           organise meetings of the Area Committee’s Grant Advisory Group        to consider Community Building Grant applications for funding   from groups within the Bradford South Area. 

 

(3)       That the Bradford South Area Coordinator submits a further       report to a meeting within the 2018-19 municipal year, with            recommendations from the Grant Advisory Group on how to             allocate the Community Building Grants funds available. 

 

(4)       That this Area Committee has strong reservations about the       distribution of CBG funds across the district and would like to     arrange a meeting between the Stronger Communities Lead, Chair of this Committee, the Portfolio Holder and the Area Coordinator,          to understand why Bradford South received such a low allocation,       with the view of ensuring that future resource formula do not        disadvantage the Area in any way.

 

 

ACTION: Bradford South Area Coordinator

 

Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Corporate

 

(Mahmood Mohammed - 01274 437467)