Decision Maker: Council
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
· Culture provides a significant social and economic contribution to the life of our district. From grassroots arts groups through to multibillion pound industries, arts and culture is a vital part of our daily lives and our economy.
· Culture supports livelihoods. The arts and culture industry has grown £390 million in one year to contribute £10.8 billion per year to the national economy, £2.8 billion a year to the Treasury through taxation and generating a further £23 billion and 363,700 jobs a year.
· Culture funding delivers a substantial return on investment – our investment in Culture since 2019 when we committed to bidding has levered in £5,131,928 into the Bradford district and if the bid is successful it is expected to provide a 25 to 1 return based on previous winners.
· Winning the UK City of Culture bid is projected to: bring 1.1m additional visitors to the district in 2025; including the programme, capital investment and tourism the economic impact in the 2025 year alone will be up to £250m; and deliver an increase of 3,000 jobs in the cultural and creative industries by 2030.
· The City of Culture designation has become a hugely significant prize for cities and is recognised for the transformational impact of the year but also the legacy. The position and profile is felt not just nationally but internationally.
· Culture builds communities. It is a vital part of our daily lives, it celebrates what makes us human, supports a shared experience and enhances our connection with others.
· Culture and art is a means of personal transformation – it raises aspirations, teaches us new skills, empathy and understanding and, for young people in particular, it deepens their education and broadens their horizons.
· As the UK’s sixth largest city and one of the youngest cities in Europe with around a quarter of our population aged under 16, Bradford is perfectly placed to be a ground breaking City of Culture creating high-calibre new opportunities for the next generation.
· From homegrown arts organisations to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Saltaire, to landmark theatres and internationally acclaimed events, we have a thriving arts scene. But our district has huge untapped potential with masses of talent that needs the investment to match, so to achieve City of Culture accreditation will be a game changer with a lasting legacy for the district.
· Our celebrated cultural assets across the district are loved by residents and visitors alike. From the Bronte Parsonage in Haworth to the Alhambra Theatre in the city centre, from Kings Hall in Ilkley to Cliffe Castle in Keighley and all points in between. We want to show them off to the world.
· Wholeheartedly supports the district’s 2025 UK City of Culture bid and its ambitious programme to deliver a positive lasting legacy for people and businesses.
· Thanks the arts and culture organisations of all sizes across the district who are making a difference in our communities and are at the heart of the exciting UK City of Culture bid.
· Confirms our commitment to put culture at the heart of our district’s regeneration and to support inclusive economic growth so that as many people as possible can contribute and share in the benefits.
· To go all out to attract volunteers from all communities across the district to contribute, and exchange and share new experiences, to foster increased community pride and cohesion, whilst benefiting every corner of the district.
· To motivate and assist the youthful population of the district and fully integrate / overlap the development of young people using the district’s expertise at delivering innovations in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics, through partnerships involving the Council, educational establishments, local communities and anyone else who wishes to make a positive contribution, to deliver added value for their lives ahead, during and long beyond the district’s involvement in the City of Culture, also providing an economic legacy until well into the future.
· To identify untapped potential and open up the district’s hidden gems to the world.
ACTION: Strategic Director Place
Publication date: 16/07/2021
Date of decision: 13/07/2021
Decided at meeting: 13/07/2021 - Council